VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 1.9 td van into VW Trans4mers in Southampton on Saturday to get a tinted side window fitted to my sliding door. Have to say they did a fantastic job and I am really pleased with the result! T:

Whilst chatting with the owner Steve about my van, I pointed out that there was a gap around the lock area on my rear tailgate where I could see daylight between the tailgate metalwork and the rubber tailgate seal. I asked him if this was a feature of all T4's and he said it wasn't and hadn't seen that problem before??

He reckons my tailgate is original and hasn't replaced barn doors?

My tailgate closes and locks fine and there are no leaks when it rains, there is just a gap where the metalwork of the tailgate doesn't match up to the rubber seal around the opening, but only in the area around the lock?

Steve reckons the gap will be contributing lots of road noise when travelling at motorway speeds!

Any ideas? I will try and post up a picture.

Cheers Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not sure.
But I've seen loads and loads of T4s that are ex-work vans, where the inner curve on the bottom of the tailgate has got dented from people shutting it on debris and loaded material.
Sometimes, if you open the tailgate and inspect the curve along the inner bottom of it, you'll see quite bad dents and scrapes that aren't really that noticeable unless you're craning your neck to look specifically for them.

That's all I can think of. Other than that the tailgate seal quite often isn't long enough to meet properly at the join, which is usually somewhere quite near to the lock mech on the bottom edge of the seal.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a couple of photos that I took. The first one shows the tailgate lock striker area and sealing rubbers and the second image taken from inside the van shows the 10mm-ish gap between the bottom of the tailgate metal and the rubber seal.

As you can see in the second image there is daylight showing either side of the tailgate pull down handle. Why is the tailgate not sealing against the rubber? It seals all the rest of the way round, just not in the lock area??:confused:

Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just checked mine. I've got the threshold cover off from doing the rust treatment, and the only place I can see daylight is the small half inch gap in the rubber seal, which is way to the right of the catch area. The rest, including the catch area, fits snugly.

It looks wrong in those pictures, like you say, but surely if it wasn't adjusted right and was failing to close all the way down there'd be a weird variation to the width of the gap where the sides of the tailgate meet the back corners of the van?
The gap between the tailgate sides and the back of the van body would be wider at the bottom than the top maybe?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Mine had a slight gap all I did was to remove the seal and put the join at the bottom near the catch and take it over the plate rather than under it..

there is still a small gap but only about 2mm showing at the bottom, tight to the seal on the rest of it....T:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any adjustment on the lock or catch?

I would like to try and adjust the catch but the two screws hat hold it in place are corroded and just won't budge!!:(

If the catch was moved back then it would pull the hatch in tighter. The thing is it locks fine and doesn't rattle or knock, it's just that the hatch does seem to be slightly too high for the metal work to even touch the rubber seal??? :confused:

Really would like to solve this and seems a few others have the same issue!

Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
725 Posts
Just a thought................if you take the threshold cover off and close the tailgate, does it seal better? Wondering whether there is a change in the height/fit as a result of that, rather than the lock?

:*

·
Registered
103 Posts
My tailgate has a bit of original trim riveted (I think) along the bottom edge. This seals against the rubber that dips down below the catch. Will take a picture and post tomorrowT:.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My tailgate has a bit of original trim riveted (I think) along the bottom edge. This seals against the rubber that dips down below the catch. Will take a picture and post tomorrowT:.
Bingo!! I reckon that you're spot on - I have the holes on the Velle tailgate and the multivan I looked at has the rubber seal! Only spoke about this last week, but with everything else going on I had forgotten!

T:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I braved the rain (and dark:eek:)

Hello Mark!

My tailgate does not have this bit of trim on it, hence the gap I think? Does it look like an original VW part and can you see a part number on it? Maybe somebody can look it up on Etka (I don't have it).

So if you are correct, because of the dip in the metal work around the catch and the fact that the rubber seal follows this dip means that on any van with this tailgate trim missing there will be a gap?

Seems like you have gotten to the bottom of this problem T: Just need a part number now and to hope its not obsolete!!

Alpenweiss2

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello Mark!

My tailgate does not have this bit of trim on it, hence the gap I think? Does it look like an original VW part and can you see a part number on it? Maybe somebody can look it up on Etka (I don't have it).

So if you are correct, because of the dip in the metal work around the catch and the fact that the rubber seal follows this dip means that on any van with this tailgate trim missing there will be a gap?

Seems like you have gotten to the bottom of this problem T: Just need a part number now and to hope its not obsolete!!

Alpenweiss2
It looks like it's original (TonkaToo mentioned having the holes for it on his 'velle). Don't have Etka but will have a look tomorrow to see if there is a part number visible. I guess there would be a gap on any tailgate T4 without the trim, bit it is just that.... a guess (perhaps it was only fitted to 'velles, but sounds unlikely) :*

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
yeah i dont have one either......

that would solve the problem without pulling the door in....T:

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ordered from VW both parts just over £5.......

just have to borrow a rivett gun........T:
Ditto! Just to add there is a suffix of B on the part number for the tailgate version (without the B it's the Barn door version) T:

Many thanks to Mark257uk for finding the part and to Alpenweiss2 for asking the question!! Another missing part sorted! A:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts