VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We always try to support "local" businesses and invariably find we get treated in the same way:

Took our baby in to have a fuse and some wire replaced.

When we picked her up we discovered the seat was covered in the grease, oil and muck that a mechanic had on his revolting overalls after lying on the floor.

The photograph doesn't show just how bad it is but you get the picture.

·
Registered
155 Posts
tell the garage that you wont be back unless they get your van seats steam cleaned and they will need to pay for the cleaning T:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Local garage always put the covers on the seats, but that didn't save the velle door panels :(
Forgot to say, they did put the plastic protectors on, AFTER they covered it in filth and BEFORE the wife arrived to pick up the vehicle.

That way, she didn't discover the grease and oil until the following day when she took it off.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
they left it on with the intention to cover it up and let you drive away with it on there. If you were to call back all they have to say is that they put it on and you drove it home like it so must have already been there or happened after you took it off.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
youve seen nothing until a hgv fitter has been in a wagon from a large fleet garage!
i think they tap dance n do a bit of break dancing on the fifth wheel before getting in the cab!
as for the steering wheel......baby wipes out!:(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not good but be thankful it wasn't as bad as my recent experience.

All wheel bolts finger tight on all 4 wheels. What's that odd noise says I, dunno, could e wheel bearing says he. Van goes on the lift and ta-da, lucky I didn't have to drive a long distance before finding that out...

·
Registered
165 Posts
s! I'd be fuming mate and I would have told them so!
When you take care of a vehicle and someone does s**t like that, it gets my goat up!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
not worth the hassle to argue get some fabric cleaner from most pound shop it will clean up pretty well but next time better to tape a bag over it yourself to be safe as they prob didnt do it on purpose its easily done, i've do it to me own van by accident but they should of at least tried to clean it back up i know i would off. when your covered in dirt everyday you forget how easily you can dirty things. tho thats not to say i wouldnt of mentioned it to them but if something goes wrong with the work its in the future its better to have been nice about it as you may need repair under any warranty etc

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Have you actually spoken to the garage yet? No one's perfect, prob get it cleaned for you if you ask, looks pretty worn out anyway:*

·
Banned
1,762 Posts
Unfortunately i find people who do this dont have a good work ethic either, so i would take it as a warning but, only after giving the boss an oportunity to fix it

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Have you actually spoken to the garage yet? No one's perfect, prob get it cleaned for you if you ask, looks pretty worn out anyway:*
are you kidding mate...dont make any difference how worn it is...taking care of customers vechiles is the most important part of any business like this...

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Absolutely!

Call in and see your garage, be calm and explain why you are upset. Any decent garage would put it right for you with little fuss.

I run my own garage and I'm the first to say that I'm not perfect. If I had ever upset any of my customers and they hadn't told me, I too would be upset because I take pride in my job and I care about other people's property. I would be more upset if I found that they had found the time to create a post about it on a public forum but not just come and talk to me.

It really bugs me that the media today has managed to encourage a whingey nation to do nothing but complain and NOT actually just deal directly with those involved in person. I:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I agree but the OP obviously looks down their nose at mechanics judging by their choice of language - "garage filth", "revolting overalls" ?!?! Just saying why no speak to the garage first:* it's a bit of dirt on a seat - not great and shouldn't have happened but not the end of the world eitherLOL:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
I agree but the OP obviously looks down their nose at mechanics judging by their choice of language - "garage filth", "revolting overalls" ?!?! Just saying why no speak to the garage first:* it's a bit of dirt on a seat - not great and shouldn't have happened but not the end of the world eitherLOL:
see thats where we would disagree...

if i gave my van to a garage i would want it back in the condition i left it....i work on the principle of treating customers vans and cars as i treat my own van...

we all make mistakes....thats life...but if the seat cover had been on the seat,the dirt would not of been there...I:

cheap plastic seat covers aint no use...we use proper seat covers,fitted,so no chance of them moving whilst working on stuff...

those white cheap ones are a waste of time..

i dont think its just him mate...most people do not like garages for this very reason...no respect...

there are good guys out there,but very few and far between these days...

·
Registered
765 Posts
The best thing is to name & shame these garages!
thats one way of making sure they are more carefull in future!

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Goand get a £ from a valeters to clean the seat like new (it wont be much) with this info in mind, go talk to the garage, see what what they say/offer. They may be very sorry and it may have been a genunie mistake/oversight. They may be very co=operative.

I dont know how much money you spend on your van but if your like most owners it'll be a fair amount and you'd be a customer i'd wanna keep.

If they are not prepared to fix it, so what (you have a fixed van with a dirty seat :() but make a point of tellingthem you wont be taking it (or any other car) back EVER and will NEVER recommend them to your friends.
You could add that your on a forum and even though theres no naming and shaming you will recommend to EVERYONE that if they want to use the "named" garage to ensure the owner fits grub covers before hand T:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
see thats where we would disagree...

if i gave my van to a garage i would want it back in the condition i left it....i work on the principle of treating customers vans and cars as i treat my own van...

we all make mistakes....thats life...but if the seat cover had been on the seat,the dirt would not of been there...I:

cheap plastic seat covers aint no use...we use proper seat covers,fitted,so no chance of them moving whilst working on stuff...

those white cheap ones are a waste of time..

i dont think its just him mate...most people do not like garages for this very reason...no respect...

there are good guys out there,but very few and far between these days...
Ok I get that you are perfect;)But if you were ever to make a minor mistake or maybe didn't achieve 100% customer satisfaction what would you expect/prefer the customer to do:confused: Pop back and see you or call you filthy and revolting and post about it on a forum:*

1 - 20 of 22 Posts