VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I picked up my T4 from a reputable independant garage in Bristol. The N/S/F ball joint and bushes needed replacing and I asked them to fit a pair of sidebars as well. After paying and driving to Zmoks to get some electrics looked at (about 5 miles)we noticed that the side bar didn't allow the sliding door to open and needed to be lowered at the rear. I found it a bit odd that the garage didn't check this first?? Anyway after going up the motorway for one junction and plugging in VAG I drove home back through Bristol and noticed a strange banging coming from the passanger side. literally 30 seconds later after just coming off the dual carriage way near Cribbs at the main 4 lane roundabout.....MY FRONT PASSENGER SIDE TYRE FLEW OFF!!!!!!

I thought the bolts had sheared as I have TUV tested PCD variation bolts on but no, the bolts were fine it was just because the wheel hadn't been tightened by the garage. After 30 minutes of getting nowhere with breakdown recovery I rung Zmok and he kindly came out, took a Bolt off the other three wheels and managed to clean up a couple of the slightly mangled bolts and I managed to get back to Bristol in one piece.

However the front wheel arch is caved in, the passenger door is dinted I'm guessing the brake disc is bent and my bolts are chewed up. the garage has agreed to pay for all the work to get get fixed and have apologised but I don't know whether to leave it there and accept their negligence or take it further. If it had have happened on the dual carriageway between roundabouts it could have been alot worse and I feel very fortunate that I was only going about 15 miles an hour.

So, should I accept the apology and treat it as a mistake or seek legal advice?
I hate the sueing culture in this Country and kind of think as they are an independant and from what I hear very good and trustworthy, that this is a one off occasion and I should just leave it at that. Any advice would be welcome
Thanks D

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think you should have a list of work needed to repair it signed by the garage, so you both know what is required and is some what legally binding. Only then upon inspection of the work can it be signed off and finished. If it were me I would give them the chance to put it right first, (thats how it usually works in my trade). If they are a well known and good garage then I would expect the work to be above and beyond as customer satisfaction should be number one. A rumor spread amongst friends quickly gets around destroying businesses now days and no one really wants that in this climate ;)

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Id see what the repair work is like, make them make ot perfect, then pay zmok to check it over and go from there? :*

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think I would do the necessary laundry then give the garage a chancce to put things right to your satisfaction.

True you had a nasty scare but at the end of the day no one went home in a box the garage owner will be very aware of other possible outcomes. If you have heard good stuff about him - give him a chance.

Rhys

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Mmm
I know how you feel and it should never have happened ,
But if there repairing all problems for free (least they can do anyway) i wouldnt take it any further

Also remember if you take it further you wont be able to repair the van as basically the evidence will be gone
Good luck with whatever you decide T:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
I'd chalk it up to a genuine mistake and accept their offer and their assurances that it won't happen again. Everyone has off days and to be frank they're probably cacking it about the mistake as it is and that will be enough of a lesson T:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Ive had a wheel come loose (not falling off) twice on vans and the worst, a bolt being left out of a bottom ball joint and the suspension collapsing all done by main dealers(twice by merc)Its not good but just be thankfull you are safe and wellT:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeh I was thinking that. At the end of the day they did seem genuinely sorry and I have used them a few times and seem like good guys. I think I'll pop in tomorrow and get them to sign off what needs doing and the guarantee that they will sort it out.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I have realised though is that I don't have a jack in my van. If I get a 2 tonne trolley jack will that be ok (it's a full converted camper) or should I get a bigger one/ are bottle jacks n e good?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Except the garages apology, you might need there help again in a hurry one day.

There is no point in suing anyone, you'll only make a solicitor rich!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
You gotta think what the outcome would have been like on the motorway at speed and with passengers, albeit worst case:( but take action from that conclusion

·
Registered
505 Posts
Never sue good people, and it's a waste suing rogues. We all make mistakes and the shock will have done wonders for their quality control.

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
I have had a front wheel come off at 70mph, very scary:eek: so know how you must feel.

Do you have/need spigot rings fitted?

·
Registered
41 Posts
at least you are ok and the van is repaireable what was the garage I live near bristol and work there and dont want to take mine there

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not allowed to name and shame because of forum rules and as I said they have a very good reputation and the guy said that this was the first case of a tyre coming off in his 30 years of owning it.
I am going to take his word for this as otherwise they wouldn't have such a good reputation.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
What I have realised though is that I don't have a jack in my van. If I get a 2 tonne trolley jack will that be ok (it's a full converted camper) or should I get a bigger one/ are bottle jacks n e good?
Personally id go for bottle jack as there easier to store. And id look at a 3 tonn jobi pluss

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
My family run a garage and its nice to see some reasonable replies to what was obviously a extremely scary situation for the OP:eek: Although we've never had a wheel fall off no one is perfect 100% of the timeI: The good thing is that no one was hurt! It's good they have accepted responsibility and are doing the repairs without quibbling - you could potentially sue them but if they are being reasonable and fixing it for you there's not really much more they could do to resolve the problem in a legal sense.

But if I were you I would certainly ask for a discount of your bill or a free MoT (or 2) as a good will gesture for the inconvenience of it all!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts