VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you ask three people what the rules are for gas bottles in camper vans ,you will get three different interpretations some say enclosed in a steel cabinet with a hole in the floor, some say accessable from out side the van,yet others will say I drive a van and sometimes carry things in the back.I know from my industrial experience that vehicles carrying gas need to show a green sticker to the rear of the vehicle,
is there a diffinitive answer? how do proffessional converters deal with the problem?
thanks
Clive

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
This is almost the same size can of worms that rock n roll bed discussions open.
At the moment the motorhome industry is governed by EU norms, which are basically a guide as to good practice. I wont pretend to be qualified in the gas industry, but do take advice when designing an installation. However, if you asked 10 professional converters how to do it, you could get 10 completely different answers.
Much of it is common sense, but you dont want to take chances with gas.
As far as I am aware, you dont need a metal locker (but cant be a bad thing if you can find space), you should have adequate drop out vents in the gas locker, and near any pipework joins or appliances that could leak. You should also run copper pipe fron the gas locker to the appliances with shut off valves to each appliance, with the rubber hose limited to a short run from bulkhead nozzle to the regulator (ie within the gas locker).

These are just my thoughts and they way I understand things, but if in doubt seek professional advice.

·
Registered
563 Posts
very damn confusing....my problem is I need to have a certificate for the electrics and gas for the ex before she will allow my daughter to stay in the van. Just putting problems in my way. Have contacted several gas safe engineers in LPG and get as many different requirements. A def appears to be a hole in the floor of the gas box given the gas is heavier than air. fibreglass my ply box this weekend and having the systems tested hopefully next weekend. Would love to put two up to the ex!!!!!!Rasp:

·
Premium Member
6,221 Posts
Our German built Reimo kit is exactly as Ed describes. It just a wooden cupboard sealed to the sides of the van with silicone and a drop out vent behind the wheelarch

1 - 4 of 4 Posts