VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

where do you put the gas box in a T5 conversion. it looks pretty big and if i put it in a cupboard ,will i be able to get the gas bottle out to change it ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Like everything camper-wise: it depends... -on how you want to use your van, and your budget.
e.g.
Minimal kitchen Pod - use a cartridge camping stove, and be careful
proper kitchen pod - Camping Gaz (ideally with a hole through the floor for gas drop-out)
el-cheapo: Under the sink, (with a hole through the floor for gas drop-out) - but it will take a big chunk of your very limited accessible cupboarding
Proper fixed kitchen, Somewhere up the back, in the base of the wardrobe / under the bed, piped through in copper. (with a hole through the floor for gas drop-out).
Professional fixed kitchen: Somewhere up the back in the base of the wardrobe, in a metal gas-tight box , with bulkhead mounted regulator, piped through in copper. (Regs only really apply if you intend to sell it as professionally built van - but many would aim for this anyway).
No expense spared: refillable tank under the van!

Calor gas is half the price of Camping Gaz, but the bottles are bigger and harder to locate, but worth it it you want to do a lot of cooking or have a gas heater.
Obviously you have to make sure you can get the cyl out - but its ok to put a strap round it first etc.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've recently had mine converted bud, was told i need a Camping Gaz 907 bottle - 2.75kg of gas, a few different running times i've seen but do the job for a good few constant running hours - arriving tomorrow T:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've recently had mine converted bud, was told i need a Camping Gaz 907 bottle - 2.75kg of gas, a few different running times i've seen but do the job for a good few constant running hours - arriving tomorrow T:
Forgot to mention, my bottle fits under in the sink/hob unit, small storage under the sink, hob is connected through copper piping, safety valve & the top connector..

·
Registered
255 Posts
Wait til you have to get a refill...
2.75kg of Butane in a Gaz Cyl = £35, (or c£27 if you find a backstreet bottled gas place that bothers. )
then the caravanner next to you gets 4.5kg of Butane in Calor cyl = £18: to me that sucks. My next van will have a Calor pot!

That said, we've done c3 weeks UK camping per year, plus most 4-5 weekends, even when generally cooking in the van, and live on tea, we only get through 1-2 gaz cyl's per year.
Realistically though, this is not the biggest cost of running a T5!

ps whatever brand you get, ask nicely at your local tip, often then have empties they'll let you recycle directly, (to trade for a full one) saving a useful sum.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
You can refill a 907 yourself for a fraction of the cost from a donor bottle. Ill wait for the H & S replies. Its safe to do and not rocket science.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys , thank you for your advice so far. I did a bit go googling and on You tube i watched a video of a guy pitting a hole under the fridge and also one in a gas box, I guess its wise to do 2 vents just in case ?

My father in law is going to donate a caller gas bottle and i am hoping its a 907 with regulator to me for the project. (still to lay my eyes on it though). I cant believe the price of the boxes !! over £100 for a metal box. :eek:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Guys , thank you for your advice so far. I did a bit go googling and on You tube i watched a video of a guy pitting a hole under the fridge and also one in a gas box, I guess its wise to do 2 vents just in case ?

My father in law is going to donate a caller gas bottle and i am hoping its a 907 with regulator to me for the project. (still to lay my eyes on it though). I cant believe the price of the boxes !! over £100 for a metal box. :eek:
Calor do not do a 907, thats campingaz.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Have a look at a Wallas XC Duo - diesel hob & heater combined

No gas, no naked flame, compact, cheap to run, space saving

Yes, it's expensive, but for me, worth every penny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts