VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently nearing the end of my first T4 conversion and have come across a bit of a query in relation to whether it is mandatory to have a sealed metal gas locker to store the gas cylinder in?

After seeing some of the conversions on this site it seems that most people dont seem to bother sealing the cylinder, and after doing some other reading it may be that only manufacturers have to do this and DIYers don't.

I intend to get my van re-registered as a campervan once completed and dont want to come unstuck at that point and have to mess about un-doing all my hard work just to comply with some BS EN standard or other.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I get too much further into the build, because its already going to take some re-working at this point in time.

Also if it turns out that I am going to need a metal box of some description can anyone give me some info on where I can get one that doesnt cost the earth.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

:confused::confused::confused::(:bhd

·
Registered
659 Posts
Im 99% sure you dont need a sealed gas locker but you do need a dropout under each appliance and the gas bottle, I checked out the regs when I built mine, I put my cylinder in its own compartment (not sealed) with a dropout underneath, the gas is heavier than air so I think a dropout is much safer than a sealed box, no matter how well you seal a box if you have a leak the gas will get out when the pressure builds up.T:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
dont need metal enclosure but needs to be in an enclosure, not sealed as in air tight though! also you need a drop out vent, 1" diameter i beleive, and also dont forget a maximum of 1.2m legnth of flexible gas hose is permitted, the rest should be copper and fixed to the wall!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im 99% sure you dont need a sealed gas locker but you do need a dropout under each appliance and the gas bottle, I checked out the regs when I built mine, I put my cylinder in its own compartment (not sealed) with a dropout underneath, the gas is heavier than air so I think a dropout is much safer than a sealed box, no matter how well you seal a box if you have a leak the gas will get out when the pressure builds up.T:
Thanks for the info. Can I ask if you have had your van reclassified as a camper on the V5 if so when was this done and did you have any issue with the gas installation during the inspection if it was required.

Also was the gas installation carried out by yourself or by a professional fitter?

Cheers

Robin

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Hobbsy and Spanner Monkey.

Is all this a legal requirement if you are stopped or for something else and is it only if the bottle is connected up?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks Hobbsy and Spanner Monkey.

Is all this a legal requirement if you are stopped or for something else and is it only if the bottle is connected up?
well im not 100% sure if you would get away with it by not having the bottle conected??? as for a legal requirement, the installation i mentioned is a requirement yes, also is having a gas sfe certificate, and a LPG sticker on the back, i needed these for my insurance. i did the work mself and then payed for a test!:ILU:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks for the info. Can I ask if you have had your van reclassified as a camper on the V5 if so when was this done and did you have any issue with the gas installation during the inspection if it was required.

Also was the gas installation carried out by yourself or by a professional fitter?

Cheers

Robin
i reclassified as a camper, it was easy, just wrote a letter and sent some pictures in to the dvla along with the "filled in logbook" and hey ho presto! (i had to get a gas safe certificate for my insurance company, becuase i did all the work myself). i doubt dvla would care about the gas install!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks guys but I'm guessing this is all for if you have your van registered and insured as a camper and not true for day van conversions? :*

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
I wouldn't take any chances with gas bud. Some friends of my folks had a 36 gin palace which had the cabin, decks and flybridge blown clean off becasue of a dodgy install. Thankfully they were saved by a gas warning alarm in the bilge and had just enough time to jump clear onto a riverbank before it exploded.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great post from mab linked above. Good work.

I've acquired and am fitting some Sortimo Speedwave camping units (VW T5 accessories catalogue options). £800 for the cooker unit alone and it has no drop out holes, internal storage box (just bottle strap) or LPG sticker. Yet its fully EU and TuV compliant. Obviously BS standards are a different matter, but if you got your VW dealer to fit a hob unit, this is what you'd get.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hope you dont mind but I kicked off a new thread on this in 'General Van Chat - Safety' as it affects all vans wi' gas

T:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=558577#post558577

Hope it helps

Hi Mike,

No worries about starting a new post on this subject. I have just read through the responses that you received but these still leave a few questions as the answers differ.

I note that one response stated a vent below the fridge is required, but I was also thinking of installing one or two in the units that have the hob above just in case there is a leak from it, either from the pipework or a faultly valve, etc.

One question that we came up with is that its fine if the cylinder is nice and safe, but what about the pipework and fittings? These could still leak and be as dangerous, hence my thoughts of installing additional gas dropout vents.

Robin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts