VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the Cadac Safari Deluxe which is great bit of kit but with a family of 5 and the fact I am planning to travel for 2 months around Europe. I now have a few questions and am confusing myself.

I have 4.5Kg Butane bottle on board and purchased a 2nd 4.5kg with a voucher from Calor.

I was thinking using a single a bottle which I would move out of the van to use with the Cadac. Not ideal as I couldn’t cook rice, pasta or Veg if needed at the same time.

I cannot afford an underslung LPG tank with BBQ point which seems to be what most people use or am i missing something?

Could I fit a T section and quick release to the Butane bottle so I can use both Cadac and stove. Again Not ideal and don’t know if it would be safe having a pipe run though the van. (thinking about this more I don’t like this Idea at all but has anyone done this)

2 bottles give me this option of running cadac and stove but space is a premium. Can I travel with a 2nd bottle just stored/strapped in the back? as I don’t have space to store it anywhere else?

More importantly would a 4.5kg or 2 bottles last for 2 months? I have been reading that Calor is not available in Europe so do I need to consider another supply like Campingaz? maybe taking 1 bottle of each as I understand Campingaz is more readily available.

Sorry for the number of question but I am sure I am not the only person that has had to address this and I cannot find the answer on the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I can't see any problem with plumbing the gas so long as it is done properly. We have the gas hob and Propex heater both plumbed in and a test certificate for the installation.

You will need Camping Gas for Europe - bad news is the cost compared to Calor. It doesn't bother us as we seem to use very little gas. Our heater is usually used on mains hook up so it is only the hob.

We use a Cob for oven and griddle and that just uses a handful of heat beads each time. They are not expensive and don't take up too much space.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am in the same boat. I have a CampingGaz 907 usually inside connected to the hob, and a Safari Chef BBQ for outside. My plan is to buy a very small CampingGaz 901.

I will try to use the 907 for all of my cooking on what every appliance I am using, but like your example, if I am cooking outside and need to boil a pot or something at the same time I can do that on the hob using the small 901 cylinder. It also means when one runs out, I still have a gas source until I can get it replaced.

Space is too limited for 2 'large' cylinders, and I don't want an under slung tank. I also want the ability to use the BBQ away from the van, so a BBQ point would not work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi,

I use a 907 in the van and just picked up a 904 for the Cadac. Apparently Gas bottle retailers/suppliers get charged for each individual empty gas canister that they have stored on their premises so if you go to the smaller shops rather than big chains you might find some that are more than happy to 'sell' you the canister for a few quid I: and then just the gas refill cost etc. rather than the extortionate £40-60 quid for an empty canister/bottle! The 904 is strapped in one of the cupboards until needed and takes up hardly any space. Did 2 1/2 weeks in France with a family of 4 cooking daily last year and still got half of the 907 left. didn't have the 904 or Cadac then, used the 907 then and a beauclaire BBQ.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a safari chef & bought a twin regulator from cadac ( they call it a power pack ) it takes 2 500g screw on canisters ( cadac ones £6 each ) they last for ages, small & light & readily available. A camping gaz 907 is 1.7 kg of gas for £29 screw on canisters 1kg of gas £12. It's a no brainier! Also the safari chef bag has a pocket on the side that fits the 2 canisters in so you can take it to the beach.

·
Registered
883 Posts
we're just back from Germany, we use calor for our cadac and have camping gaz for the internal cooker. we decided to fill the calor before we left (£13 odd), and the camping gaz ran out on the third night of the holiday. a quick look on google for camping gaz suppliers showed the local OBI (german b and q) was the stockist (23 euro). while there we also picked up a cooling fan for inside the van and a foreign extension lead. job done. no major dramas.

cant do without satnav or google on holidays any more

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
We swapped our Calor bottle for a CampingGaz 907 before heading off to Scandinavia for 4 weeks. We don't use much gas so it lasted 3 weeks before needing a refil in Denmark where it was only £17 in a small town Shell fuel station.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.