VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have tracked down a coolant leak on the van. Anyone know the part details for the seal/ gasket I'll need for replacing the seal on the bottom coolant-pipe-to engine "manifold" in black in picture below? Don't want to drain coolant/ take it apart and find I've the wrong part. And is it doable by simply removing its 2 bolts, or a bigger job to give enough access?
One of the securing bolts was not very tight but tightening it didn't stop the leak .... problem possibly a consequence of last Oct's timing belt/ water pump work at local garage? It's a 2003 2.5TDI with 185k mls we've had for 14yrs :)
Thanks,
- Rory

·
Registered
566 Posts
Thermostat housing sealed with an O ring, might as well do thermostat at the same time as it will come with the seal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response pgsi; that's good news it's an o-ring. Without having to scrape off old gasket, I'll hopefully manage to replace without having to dismantle anything more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think I'll get a new thermostat housing flange thingy too as I read online that these can sometimes crack - and only £7 at JK.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good now thanks .... new o-ring and thermostat housing from JK seems to have done the trick. Makes a change to have a repair that cost around a tenner :)
- R

·
Registered
119 Posts
Caught this one too late, but when you're down there check out the hose that exits the housing to the right. Mine crumbled as soon as I moved it - this was from the leak off blank dribbling diesel onto it for a while. The T4 replacement is quite expensive for a tapered hose so I used one from a Corrado and cut the end off.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That hose felt/ looked pretty good actually rc_tech - but it's all relative as I've some seriously corroded metal coolant pipework under the bonnet - in fact I assumed that that would be where I'd find the leak. But, what with wiper mech, starter motor, shocks, wheel bearing, sill welding, roll bar link and brake pads all required recently around MoT time, I'm not looking to replace anything more just now ....... and will prob be selling the T4 next spring anyway, after 15yrs' ownership.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts