VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a recurring leak with the gear box filler plug on my T4 2.5tdi ACV.

Doesn't matter how tight I tighten it (as tight as two hands can) it still leaks, this will be the fourth time now! :confused:

Could the plug (with washer) be loosening itself as it's damaged? Can't see any visible problem...

Does anybody have the correct torque spec for the filler plug and know where to source a new plug online?

Recently had a new Sachs DMF kit fitted before a 10 day road trip and found the filler plug wasn't screwed down and only held on by a few threads :eek: that might of done something... or over tightening. (Took it back to the garage and they topped up the oil and re-fitted the plug).

Any ideas or similar experience would be much appreciated...

Cheers!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
gonna work on this tomorrow, guess any sign of damaged threads and I should replace the plug and washer?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(this is strange talking to me sen I:)
had a look, leaking has stopped from the plug but looks like it's from the cv joint area now unless it's from before, cleaned up the area and will see... presume you have to remove bits there when fitting a new clutch and the garage has missed something.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the leak problem but I am very interested in what you think of the Sach HD DMF as I plan to buy one soon. I assume you bought the DMF and clutch kit etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, yeah after much searching I went for the sachs... had the 'bag of nails' sound and could feel quite a bit of play in the flywheel so replaced it. A garage here did the work for crazy money so glad I saved a lot buying in germany... best price with cheap p&p I could find and they price matched (50euro+ cheaper then online now) but here's what I got:
http://www.autoteilemann.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=563862
http://www.autoteilemann.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=212883

Everything is much better and like new (also replaced a leaking master cylinder and the pedal box from Trev) but that was only in july so early days.. seemed the best you could get if staying with the DMF.

Dunno about France but here prices are double :eek:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Thanks for the info and the feedback. Darkside Developments are a bit cheaper but I am not sure if the post to France. I have bought stuff from Autoteilemann before and they were very quick. Prices here are also much more expensive than German/UK prices so I get most stuff on-line and posted. German ebay is a great source of low priced parts and they are usually very happy to post. Most garages here don't like fitting bits that they haven't supplied themselves so I may have to attack mine myself :eek: Or etter still with the help of someone who knows what he is doing!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tell me about it! mad price but they wanted £800 here... http://www.autokatalogen.se/afw/satra/view_article_info.do?articleIdNo=578566&nodeIdNo=1572214
luckily garages not bothered like here, as the one I use said, get it half price we charge you double in labour!

see what the best price you can get online is (micksgarage came up top when I did) and contact them to price match, the MD replied back with a much better one for me. This was for an ACV 2.5tdi though.
good to know about ebay.de success, never try it, we should set up an expat trader list ;) but seriously thinking of driving back for any other major work after a cambelt, clutch etc done here (no chance I could tackle those jobs) could have had a nice 2 week holiday eating fish n chips with the saving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts