VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My inner gaiter and outer gaiter on my gear shift have come free and rocking around. Anyway that i can fix these? Perhaps a video link or some tips would be great!!!

Thanks in advance ...

Kind Regards

Lea

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Just needs a bit of persistence to clip it back in, just make sure it's the right way round, vorn (front) should be written on both bits if memory serves, but they can be a pain. T:

·
Registered
12 Posts
My caravelle has the same issue.

I am going to glue it down.
Hopefully a bit of super glue on the 4 pins in the floor will hold it in place.

It's surprising how much noise can come through the that gap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had the same problem with my plastic surround lifting off of the 4 x M6 studs after running cables etc underneath the cab mat.
The holes in the plastic have opened up where they've been on and off the threads previously.
What I have done is stretch a small o-ring over the lead part of the screw (where it's not threaded) down against the start of the thread. A smear of silicone grease on the o-rings and in the holes in the cover and then push the cover down into position.
Mine has held solid for the past 4-5 weeks and the van is being used daily (mon-fri) for work, as I have not been affected by the lockdown.
Haven't tried taking it off yet (no reason to), but I am hoping that when it does have to come off it should roll the o-rings off of the screw ends.
. Will probably loose the o-rings when taking it off but they're cheap enough to replace.
Suitable size o-rings are either BS006 (imperial), or 3mm x 1.5mm. They can be bought on ebay for just under £3 for 20.
Hope this might help others.
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the same problem with my plastic surround lifting off of the 4 x M6 studs after running cables etc underneath the cab mat.
The holes in the plastic have opened up where they've been on and off the threads previously.
What I have done is stretch a small o-ring over the lead part of the screw (where it's not threaded) down against the start of the thread. A smear of silicone grease on the o-rings and in the holes in the cover and then push the cover down into position.
Mine has held solid for the past 4-5 weeks and the van is being used daily (mon-fri) for work, as I have not been affected by the lockdown.
Haven't tried taking it off yet (no reason to), but I am hoping that when it does have to come off it should roll the o-rings off of the screw ends.
. Will probably loose the o-rings when taking it off but they're cheap enough to replace.
Suitable size o-rings are either BS006 (imperial), or 3mm x 1.5mm. They can be bought on ebay for just under £3 for 20.
Hope this might help others.
Cheers
Mark
Thanks Surfbuzzard
I have had this problem for a while and the o rings have solved it. I really appreciate you posting this.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
25 Posts
As an addendum…. The square angled plastic bit has two prong clips in as well. Mine has the gaiter that goes up to the knob, but inside also has the rubber boot gaiter. The tall one simply clips round the base, so I removed that, which gave access to the clip things. They were bent out of shape, so I heated the plastic a bit to pull the prongs into the middle a bit, fitted the above O rings, and pressed the base into place, then squidged (technical term for your delectation) a screwdriver in down the side and pressed the clips in. Refit rubbery boot, then refit knob and outer gaiter, which sits in a slot on the outside of the square bottom bit.

Sorted. For now at least. Fingers crossed.

·
Full of Cr*p....
10,874 Posts
S2A Landie method...... :whistle:

Great thing about old Landies.....you needed 2 spanners, a screwdriver, and a hammer to fix 99% of problems!
(Oh....and a good jack!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts