VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

Premium Member
Heard we were showing off knobs in here...

Not sure you can beat a pool ball matching the colour of the van. Feels great compared to the OEM one as well.

View attachment 198517
I'd be a bit worried if my know turned blue馃槼
Only because it won't match the yellow in my van馃槀
1 ball I think it is!
Where did you find your pool ball shifter that works with the lift up reverse?

Premium Member
Here's the #1 ball from the same seller that did mine. If you're not doing the gaiter it's a piece of cake to swap them over, trickiest bit is judging how many washers or whatever to use to get the number to line up!
Luckily I've bought the number one ball so it can go 2 ways!馃槀
Automotive lighting Automotive design Audio equipment Gas Automotive exterior

Yeah I know what you're saying Stu, the rest of the van is very much custom as like your and many other on here so in the words of Magnus Magnusson "I've started so I'll finish" (y)

馃槀 I'll have to go find said posts, interested to see what you've said, I'm sure it's a jesting mocking at worse.

I'm really quite proud of everyone in this thread, all this way and no real lowering of the tone, well done all 馃憦馃槀

I've been sketching methods of how to machine mine to get it to work, but yeah would involve cutting a 30mm dia hole in the end to allow for the lift up reverse. All the machining does remove a lot of material, I'm concerned the layers of ply would just crumble. Will need to add in a pipe to work around the existing shaft and to locate the spring, M6 threaded insert fitted into the end of the gearknob (inside the 30mm rebate) and use some m6 threaded bar to fix it back to the shaft. Would only be hand tight as currently no way of mechanically fixing it, and trying to get an adapter made...just 1 off would be expensive. This is just one route I'm looking at.

The tricky bit that's got me scratching my head is catering for the lift up reverse...although if I always park so I can drive forward I'll never need to reverse again...genius!

Thanks Split, but my carpentry skills aren't that great, a lot of the van furniture was cnc'd, I'm very much learning as I go, Stu ( @Soundz ) is the man with the skills, but then taking a millennium on one piece of oak it's bound to look good 馃槀 馃構

Yeah they are a cracking piece of kit. It's the adapter that's tripping me up, but there is always a work around. (y)
I took a picture of the underside of my knob for you Pete.
Hand Fruit Plant Citrus Finger

Hopefully this can fit with your queries to do your own one.

Looks like a hole has been bored out to fit the lift up reverse and then a smaller bore which is central to the bigger bore, allowing a threaded piece of bar that has been sealed in the centre, probably using a similar sized drill, (maybe M6 threaded bar so 6mm drill?) Again in the centre of that bored to provide the true centre. More than capable to do on the cnc, depending on what you have馃憤

Registered
Couple picks of my knob incoming

View attachment 198187

this is the 鈥渦niversal鈥 adapter so this slots over the gear stick. The central bolt threads onto the old gear knob fitting and there are 3 grub screws so lock it in place once you鈥檝e set the position. The outside is threaded to attach the new knob to
View attachment 198189

This is the underside so there鈥檚 a machined metal insert that forms the collar and is threaded to match the adapter. This is glued into to knob
View attachment 198188

Close up of the adapter
View attachment 198186

what I did was fit the adapter and only tighten one grub screw then screwed on the knob And noted the position of the marking. Thenremoved The knob and administer the adapter. Took a few attempts but was able to tweak the last little bit then tightened all the grub screws up once it was correctly clocked.
Hope that helps?
As above I don't know how one qualifies a work of craft like this against sheer pound notes.. Funky charcoal cheers for posting the details....... it's a fab bit of craft.......I can figure most of it but how he's got the circular layers in the wood defeats me I have ideas but yeah too cool Also love the metal work he's out done me there aswell..love it

@ PDUK Pete do you have any info for us on your new design?

@ 64Split ...........H, how long would that take your mate on the metal work?

cheers

stu

Registered
how he's got the circular layers in the wood
................different coloured layers of timber are laminated together and then jointed in turn to another set of coloured laminated timbers but turned through 90 degrees, then repeated. When its turned on a lathe the circles naturally form creating the master piece :)

Registered
For a gearknob insert I reckon with all the dimensions to hand it'd take a 3-4 hours of turning on the lathe and then cutting the necessary threads, depending on the size of the starting material. I've got my old gearknob in the garage so I might take some measurements off it and see what my mate can knock up for us.

Registered
................different coloured layers of timber are laminated together and then jointed in turn to another set of coloured laminated timbers but turned through 90 degrees, then repeated. When its turned on a lathe the circles naturally form creating the master piece :)

Cheers for the reply me olde mate........... I can see where this is heading ,I'm going to end up trying to cobble up some form of lathe next..........alot flies over my head bro...a hell of a lot...I'm pretty much being stumped right now by some curved over head lockers....an there was me thinking a gear nob might be fairly simple:LOL:

Registered
For a gearknob insert I reckon with all the dimensions to hand it'd take a 3-4 hours of turning on the lathe and then cutting the necessary threads, depending on the size of the starting material. I've got my old gearknob in the garage so I might take some measurements off it and see what my mate can knock up for us.

That would be cool H..and 3/4 hours was sort of my guess the lathe work seems fairly straight forwards it's tapping all the threads where the time is going to go......................although my earlier ponderence was a bit on the kiss side keep it simple stu.....the metalwork really adds doesn't it

Jees buddy I only wanted to make her a little camper !! nearly a year of ruddy wood work..i'm probably also gonna have a degree in off grid lithium leccy stuff by the end of all this and now i'm pondering ruddy gear nobs:ROFLMAO:

I'm way too old for all this.. !!

Registered
Basil has posted mine can't wait

Iain please share some pics when it arrives..I love the craftmanship of the guy's work..................Iain or @Charcoalfunky would either of you be so kind to run a set of micrometers if you have them over the metal work please..it might help me H Pete I dunno.................

Am slowly starting to hatch a plan.......I'm going to try and cobble something up from wood (naturally.see team blue you'll understand more), maybe a bit of ply ,but mainly offcuts of wood sourced from a bonfire....sort of a DIY approach no lathe but using tools many of us might have, if it doesn't all go pete tong ,i'll come back

Obviously the metal work isn't doable for me so have no final design............a fair to middlin' idea of what i'm going to try though..........The penny has finally dropped with T4HULK's post the ply simply being set vetically, which has me wondering about a bit of zebra wood/zebrano I guess, that came from said fire. I'm off to get the chop saw out and some glue and clamps thinking of using oak walnut and just a bit of birch ply to see where it takes me.loo don't hold ya breath for a speedy install I don't work that way

Would love some pics Iain and if either of you could get some measurements up I'd be really grateful

take care

stu

Registered
Iain please share some pics when it arrives..I love the craftmanship of the guy's work..................Iain or @Charcoalfunky would either of you be so kind to run a set of micrometers if you have them over the metal work please..it might help me H Pete I dunno.................

Am slowly starting to hatch a plan.......I'm going to try and cobble something up from wood (naturally.see team blue you'll understand more), maybe a bit of ply ,but mainly offcuts of wood sourced from a bonfire....sort of a DIY approach no lathe but using tools many of us might have, if it doesn't all go pete tong ,i'll come back

Obviously the metal work isn't doable for me so have no final design............a fair to middlin' idea of what i'm going to try though..........The penny has finally dropped with T4HULK's post the ply simply being set vetically, which has me wondering about a bit of zebra wood/zebrano I guess, that came from said fire. I'm off to get the chop saw out and some glue and clamps thinking of using oak walnut and just a bit of birch ply to see where it takes me.loo don't hold ya breath for a speedy install I don't work that way

Would love some pics Iain and if either of you could get some measurements up I'd be really grateful

take care

stu
mines still in the garage getting clutch fixed as soon as it鈥檚 back I can

Registered
mines still in the garage getting clutch fixed as soon as it鈥檚 back I can
Buddy thank you !! Mate what's your name?
I have some eucalyptus knocking about ...:unsure:
Drew,i'm pondering a DIY option as per Pete above, but that we could sort of have a go at at home with not too many tools and not alot of dosh ,a bit of graft sure but maybe little dosh a gear nob is what 50 or 60 mm by say the same deep maybe a bit deeper............so basically what we need is tiny bits or wood. Sure I got a tip off from a mate and raided a bonfire cause I knew the local furniture maker had had a clear out but basically we are looking at offcuts. I got me birch ply from them bro the lad who served me offered me a load of bits of veneer for nothing.............at the time I just couldn't see a use for 'em ha ha now I can....................So maybe if folks are of a mind they do a bit of homework and tap up the local crafts man or lady for that matter.

Bro I've no idea whether this will pan out, but at close of play today i've got lots of smallish bits of wood that cost me nowt..... clamped up like a good un glue spewing all ways. LMAO kinda funny I started with quick grips and have just moved them into some huge M long jobbies which is rediculous but I can really put a hell of squeeze on them and they are bang on parallel......probably not needed but hey

It's so damn hard keeping this thread PC.........personally I'd steer clear of using that you might breath ok but man that's gotta sting :eek:

bye

Registered
Buddy thank you !! Mate what's your name?

Drew,i'm pondering a DIY option as per Pete above, but that we could sort of have a go at at home with not too many tools and not alot of dosh ,a bit of graft sure but maybe little dosh a gear nob is what 50 or 60 mm by say the same deep maybe a bit deeper............so basically what we need is tiny bits or wood. Sure I got a tip off from a mate and raided a bonfire cause I knew the local furniture maker had had a clear out but basically we are looking at offcuts. I got me birch ply from them bro the lad who served me offered me a load of bits of veneer for nothing.............at the time I just couldn't see a use for 'em ha ha now I can....................So maybe if folks are of a mind they do a bit of homework and tap up the local crafts man or lady for that matter.

Bro I've no idea whether this will pan out, but at close of play today i've got lots of smallish bits of wood that cost me nowt..... clamped up like a good un glue spewing all ways. LMAO kinda funny I started with quick grips and have just moved them into some huge M long jobbies which is rediculous but I can really put a hell of squeeze on them and they are bang on parallel......probably not needed but hey

It's so damn hard keeping this thread PC.........personally I'd steer clear of using that you might breath ok but man that's gotta sting :eek:

bye
George is the name,

hopefully van will be back next week they鈥檝e had it 3 but did squeeze me in

Registered
..........................its wood mate ;)

Soundz just a thought, but I reckon something like this............ Queiting 6 In 1 Multi-metal Mini Lathe DIY Wood Model Making Drilling And Milling Machine Small Lathe Bead Grinding Machine Desktop Woodworking Wood DIY Tool Processing Lathe : Amazon.co.uk: Business, Industry & Science............ would do the job (and quite a few others). Not particularly built to commercial standard but ideal for a few hobby jobs at home.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts