VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've just changed the linkage bushes on my T4 1.9 1999. Was hoping it would solve to floppy gear selection situation but it hasn't. I also did the short shift mod as well while I was there. I took the gaitors off the top of the gear lever to ensure that I had the stick lined up correctly and I found this :-

At some point I think the gear linkage bushes had been changed previously and instead of aligning the lever correctly it looks as though someone has just cut away at the cowling, to allow the lever to reach reverse and 1st/2nd??

Does anyone have a picture from above that they could post so I can see what it is actually supposed to look like please?

I've realised that when i'm putting the lever over in to the alignment that is correct for 1st, it is going past to hit between where 1st and reverse are and then the rubber lug/stopper is hitting the cut in the cowling. In the picture the lever is in neutral.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like I was right about the cowling being the problem. I
Realigned the stick and fabricated a steel plate to repair the cowling. 20 rivets later and the stopper is hitting perfectly on 1st and 2nd and needs to be pushed down to get in to reverse. I even used a piece off the back frame from an iPhone 3G to make sure it all slides nicely.

Whoever had worked on this had done a real botch job!

All is well and it works a treat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts