VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've repaired the bushes on my 1999 1.9 T4 which if I'm honest was unbelievably easier than the majority of the posts on here suggest. I think the major Issue people seem to be having is getting the bushes on to the t bar and and the socket in to the mount. The socket was simple and is just a case of pushing it in by hand. Every one seems to press the bushes on but the mere mortals like me who don't have a press can get by with a flat surface and a rubber mallet! Knock the smaller one on first with one firm knock, place the bush on the flat surface and knock the t bar in to the bush, not the other way round as most make the error of doing. then do the same with the larger bush, put the bush on the flat surface and knock the t bar in with one sharp hit. The final stage of the process is to place the mounting plate on the flat surface and agin with one firm hit, knock the smaller bush in to the seating.

All being said, I was quite smug with how well this section of the repair went but I found the gear selection was still not right at all. it became apparent that there was still a major problem selecting 1st and 2nd. When I removed the gaitors from the gear selector I found that the plastic had been cut and the gear lever stopper seems to be hitting the cut pieces!

Does anyone happen to have a picture from inside the van to show how the top section should look?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts