VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just had my clutch and DMF changed but am now getting a slight crunch when going from 1st to 2nd usually when cold. It doesn’t do it when going from 2nd to 1st.
Im thinking they may have put the wrong or cheap gearbox oil in, so before I take it to get looked at I would like to change the oil for the correct stuff to either fix the problem or rule it out. What and how much oil would I need for my T5 2006 2.5 130? and is it an easy job to do? Cheers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would go to vw or tps and get the genuine oil they recommend , it's not cheap stuff around £50 for 3 litres , you need about 2.7 l for the 2.5. It's easy enough to do yourself , just make sure you can undo the filler plug first !

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
They shouldn't need to change the gearbox oil if they're doing the clutch and DMF. The gearbox is completely separate and can be removed for clutch/DMF replacement without worrying about oil. Have they definitely changed the oil?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah that makes sense as they only charged me £10 for the oil so I'm thinking I may have misunderstood and that was clutch fluid!...so would it be worth changing the gearbox oil then? I guess it would be the first thing to do to see if it solves my gear crunch problem before I go down the expensive synchro route!!

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Do the gear change cables need setting back up when the gearbox goes back in?.
Also Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75w-90 gear oil is VW 501 50 spec.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vans done 130000 miles and seen a lot of people on here have changed theirs and made the gear change a lot smoother

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Most car manufacturers say its filled for life but how long do they expect a vehicle to last?, my T5 is now 10 years old.
We have an E70 X5 BMW and acording to BMW the gearbox is sealed for life, if you read the service spec from ZF that actually designed and built the transmission it should be changed at 60-80k.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Ah that makes sense as they only charged me £10 for the oil...
Now you've got me worried! There shouldn't be any need to top-up the clutch fluid either.

What exactly was the problem you had that meant you got the clutch & DMF changed?

Martin could be right with the gear linkage cables being screwed up on refitting but there's no way a gearbox should be easier to shift between 2nd & 1st than it is between 1st & 2nd and certainly no crunching...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I'm just being a bit dumb, there was defiantly a charge for oil or fluid of some sorts, had the drive shafts changed aswell so maybe something to do with that. Anyway gonna change the gear oil first and rule that out as its the cheapest option. Prob best for me to have a word with the garage I had it done at to see what they say.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
had a go at adjusting the gear linkage but didnt sort it, does this look a bit loose? would tightening the nut on the top help?

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Yeah, it does look sloppy. I can't get to mine at the moment to see what play I've got, I'm afraid. Might be worth sending a PM to Worksvan who did the gear linkage how to and show him your video...

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Yeah, it does look sloppy. I can't get to mine at the moment to see what play I've got, I'm afraid. Might be worth sending a PM to Worksvan who did the gear linkage how to and show him your video...
Anyone get this sorted as mine is exactly like this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts