VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I've had my 2.4 1995 van for about a month now, when I bought it I was made well aware that the gearbox had a slight issue.
Basically when driving up the gears there are no problems however on coming down the gears and in particular from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd I cannot get in gear. The previous owner had given me a tip which was when going down to third that I should line it up with 2nd first then it slips into 3rd nicely. With going to second I should line it up with 1st then it goes into 2nd, these do work however if you get caught out on a hill or bend can be a bit of a faff trying to get into a gear.
I can drive like this but it dawned on me that I should ask you guys if any of you have experienced a similar fault?
I'm considering buying a linkage Bush kit to see if this helps, what's your thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've got a plastic bush kit to fit to mine but I'm gonna do a gearbox oil change. Fairly easy to do really. That may help aswell but like above, check/do the gearbox selector bushes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, the more I drive it the less concerned I am with the gearbox, for the cost of the kit I'll give it a go and who knows when the gear oil was last changed.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did u ever do this??
I have the same issue. It's in the garage ATM and the mechanic has changed the bushings but no change. He is after some tool from vw to sort it out? Anyone had a similar experience to this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
With fresh bushes it all needs to be properly set up. There's a cowbell clamp on the linkage rod under the gearstick. Loosen it and the alignment of the gearstick can be altered back/front and left/right. It needs to be set up so that there's about 1mm clearance between the plastic stop and the side of the gearstick housing when in 1st and the stick pushed gently to the left to take up free play.

There's a VW tool to help with this but it's perfectly possible to set it up without, just takes a bit of trial and error.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Elo!
Changed bush's but need to align stick. It's hit n miss. Selecting 2nd does help before selecting 3rd. Any advice would be great!!! V.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts