VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having problems with second gear crunching when going from 1st to 2nd. Ive attached a youtube video of what I think is my gear selector, is it meant to move as freely as this? and is it the 13mm nut at the top which I need to tighten?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi, the selector shouldn't move like that, tightening the 13mm nut will take out that free play but you may find it will come loose again or gear change may still crunch, the selector lever is mounted to the gearshift spool via splines what happens is the 13mm works loose and wears the splines. To sort 100% replace the selector lever and the gearshift spool (mounts through the gearbox) both can be replaced without gearbox removal

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, the selector shouldn't move like that, tightening the 13mm nut will take out that free play but you may find it will come loose again or gear change may still crunch, the selector lever is mounted to the gearshift spool via splines what happens is the 13mm works loose and wears the splines. To sort 100% replace the selector lever and the gearshift spool (mounts through the gearbox) both can be replaced without gearbox removal
Thanks, is this easy to do myself? and do I have to get the parts directly from VW? cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
This has been bugging me for ages how the hell are you supposed to tighten that 13mm nut because access is very limited and I can seem to fit a wrench in there as he ABS system is in the way
Does anybody know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info. Mine failed last week on the roadside to the point i could not select any hears, Friend came to assist as he had same problem. Did a temp fix with some washers under nut which got me going but seems to have gone back to not selecting 3rd and 5th i think. Have ordered the replacement selector arm but cant find the gear shift spool anywhere to buy. Any good links or specific name to look for please?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts