VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long wheel base t5 130 & when its has load in back the gear stick moves alot when acclerating or de acclerating. at all speeds it moves, And when changing gear ive had gear box mount changed & 1 other engine mount changed but it exactley the same , is there any other suggestions???

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Mine never used to do it until 6th gear failed - currently it jumps out of 6th, so I'm making do with 5 (until the new year when it goes in for a recon' gearbox.) Now, it noticably moves when accellerating/decellerating in 5th, but not the others.

Check the linkage levers that are on the top of the selector - the nut is prone to losen & sometimes these levers wear. Check also the linkage adjustment & hope that its not a prelude to an internal gearbox problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx i will speak to my mate whos a mechanic & will post you when i get it looked at.
i have NO Problems with gears & its never chumped out of gear. i have no problem going through the gears (Changing up & down gears too.) very smooth have done 97.000 miles from new 2005 plate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Check your selector lever, under bonnet, gear selector lever is on left hand side on top of gear box, get your hand in and grab it, if you can wobble it by trying to rotate forwards backwards then the spline is wearing off.

I lost 1st and second gears sat at some lights and had to limp home in 3rd. I took the arm off and the spline teeth had worn away, couldn't tell if the selector shaft was worn too and bought a new arm hoping it wasn't. After bolted it on and all is good again.

New one is solid and I noticed it's ever so slightly thicker walled and is pretty cheap.

Pushing the gear stick forwards and backwards lifts the selector/shaft so that's why I could still get 3rd. Left to right movements rotates the shaft and that's why I couldn't get any other gears.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive FOUND the problem after changing every engine mount & its not the problem, **IVE FOUND THE PROBLEM WITH WHY THE GEAR STICK KEEPS MOVING IT WAS THE TWO CABLES COMING OUT OF BODY ABOVE ENGINE TO THE RIGHT WHERE ITS ATTACHED TO THE ENGINE & THE PART HAD COME OFF IVE CABLED TIED IT BACK DOWN & ITS CURED THE PROBLEM, I DIDNT NEED TO GO TOO ALL THAT EXPENSE OF £500. IT COST 26PENCE IN THE END 1 X CABLE TIE.

VW (CARRS) INDIAN QUEENS CORNWALL WAS GOING TO CHARGE £3000. & COULDNT GAURANTEE THEY WOULD CURE THE PROBLEM. THEY ARE A JOKE & A RIP OFF.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts