VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Gear Stick Too Far Left

622 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mindriot 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm quite new to this forum so forgive me if I drone on too much. I've been reading all the threads about the short shift mod and I'm going to look at that over the next few weeks, however the bigger issue for me is that my gear stick seems to be a long way over to the left (I have a rhd), so far that I have to lean over to get 1st and reverse. In 5th gear the stick is just about vertical. I'm a short a#@e which doesn't help but I'm sure it can't be right. I've seen pics on here of others that look much closer to the drivers side so is mine just how it is or is it wrong? And can I do anything to adjust it across?

Thanks in advance ?

#2 ·
there is adjustability in the gearstick / gearshift BUT I'd guess your van's gearstick has been bent to that position for some reason by a previous owner:*

as to the adjustment, it's sorta a fine-line of correct OR not finding gears to the left or right of the 'gate'. (there is a vw special tool to set the stick's position but it's sorta doo-able without)

Rich.

#4 ·
Mark your existing position accurately and work from there, getting shift patters right can be a real task, and adjust in small increments and check all gears including reverse, even actually driving if safe to do so. Marking original points if possible will let you get back to where you started if needs be.

Im thinking though if theres no actual faults or problems through the pattern but its way off centre, something odd is going on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.