VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have a T4 1993 2.4D automatic lwb. The gearbox has packed in and the steering box needs replacing. I am looking a buying a donor van to change it over to a manual box. Just wondering if anyone knows anything that will help. Which model t4 will have the necessary parts that will fit and any possible problems. The van currently has a 098 type gearbox, code CHZ. Any advice or possible donor van leads would be greatly appreciated. Simon.

Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
Steering racks are different post 1995/6, also there's different driveshaft lengths and gearbox mounts.

If you get a complete van as donor, the majority of T4 gearboxes fit the different engines so a 1.9 gearbox will fit a 2.4 engine (but might have lower ratios so not quite suited to the plodding 2.4)

Also, conversion from auto to manual you'll need a flywheel & clutch, the 2.4 has 8 bolts securing the flywheel to the crankshaft, 1.9 diesel & 2.0 petrol have 6 bolt flywheels and slightly smaller clutch.

Pedal boxes differ pre & post '95

Sorta something like that anyway I:

Rich.

Registered
Hi. Buy a complete 2.4 d manual up to 96. Then you will have all the patrs you need and can resell the leftover parts
I did the same thing last year and got my money back and some . Look on ebey for a doner

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts