VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the world of t4's.
My gearbox/clutch doesn't like changing down gears, which someone has said could be the syncro's, but looking at brake/clutch fluid it hasn't been changed in a very long time.

Could this also not be helping?

How easy is it to change syncro's myself?
As I have a spare gearbox!

Thank you in advance ☺

Xx

·
Registered
516 Posts
Have you also checked the condition of the nylon balls in the gear change linkage at the front? These can also cause changing problems.
Once you've checked those the first thing I'd do is change the clutch fluid & most importantly change the gearbox oil. Most problems in these boxes emanate from the latter. Presuming it's the VW 02b box we are talking about. They can normally do monster mileage if the oil is changed now & again.
Another test is If you get a crunch putting it in reverse (When the gearbox is hot) try selecting 1st gear then without releasing the clutch put it in reverse. If the crunch disappears this normally indicates worn shaft bearings.
Changing the Synchro's will involve a full strip & rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
OP, check for cracks in the pedal box around the clutch master cylinder - this is a common problem that causes the clutch to not fully disengage giving rise to the exact problem you describe.

HH

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Hi hobbyhorse, thanks for your advice, you saved me a lot of time & money.

You're welcome Laura louise, it's what we do here.............

HH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts