VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there to everyone,I have 97 1.9 td abl t4driving along yesterday, changed gear then an all mighty bang and lost all drive, stopped looked under van to find gear oil all over the road and the near side driveshaft inner cv no longer bolted to the box as I'm thinking as it seized or jammed etc the wheel was obviously still turning and sheared all the inner cv bolts, has anyone else had this happen and also shall I get excactly the same gearbox code to replace it like for like or is this a good time for a modification , later box or better gearing etc etc, thanks guys appreciate any help on this matter

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
W:W:W: Welcome to the forum W:W:W: I had all my driveshaft bolts work loose many years ago but luckilly i noticed it before it dropped off all together. I was recovered home where i renewed all the bolts, job done and a lucky escape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi jj, im thinking its the gearbox that caused the bolts to shear as surely if they were just working themselves loose i should hav had sum noise or vibration previous to coming totally loose

·
Somebody stop me!
11,966 Posts
hi jj, im thinking its the gearbox that caused the bolts to shear as surely if they were just working themselves loose i should hav had sum noise or vibration previous to coming totally loose
I cant see how it can unless it came adrift from the hub end, for the bolts to shear it would need to be a force from the driveshaft unless the gearbox locked while moving. Either way its not good!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeh im thinking the box must have locked up and the force of the wheel turning the shaft caused the bolts to shear, now looking for new box, anyone know if i should stick with the same code box or would now be a good time to modify if there is a better one to fit, cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts