VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so excuse me if it is in the wrong area. The gearbox of my T4 1.9TD 1996 has just holed itself. (From inside) Could somebody help me decide to replace or rebuild? is this a relatively common problem? 180,0000 miles.... What sorts of things should I be looking out for and what sort of costs should I be preparing myself for? am in Bristol Bath area and would appreciate talikin it through with somebody.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Rebuild is not an option if there is a hole in it and anyway the internals will be totally shot as well. If you're looking to keep costs in check then finding yourself a second hand replacement is the cheapest option. If you're not handy with the tools and have limited equipment changing it yourself might be a challenge.Mobile mechanics can do them easily on your drive. £250 upwards is the going price on e bay but often local scrapyards or people breaking their own vans might be cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Coneman!
It was suggested as a rebuild if we were unable to get a second hand replacement in the next few days......... If something has spat out from inside I think there might be quite a lot of damage. Is it a common problem? It was getting a little noisy and I have had a few more drips of oil recently where frequently parked. Are there any alternatives we could use? If unable to get the transporter gearbox? I believe they are a bit beefier than the standard V-dub Box on a similar sized passat or similar but is it correct that the engines are the same?Please if anybody out there Can help I would like to hear from you!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do a good bit of research on it, I'm sure I've heard that there is a better box with a higher top gear , perhaps from a car?
The bearings wear out in gearboxes , that causes the initial noise. Then the bearings break up causing shafts to move and gears to collide with a bang !

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The usual thing is a rivet from the crown wheel comes firing out like a bullet. You also have the added problem of all the oil coming out as well. Depends how long it took you to notice what had happened as to how much damage the internals will have suffered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts