VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help needed as van (2.4d) is stuck in reverse.
ive had the van about a month and a half and seemed ok on test drive but on way home my brother who was driving it had difficulty engaging first.looked on here and read about the linkages and changed the common one on top of box it didnt look worn but did seem to make it better for a while.when the same problem happened again and got worse and i couldnt engage reverse at all more searching on here led me to adjusting at the gearstick end by loosening the clamp holding the thick tube of linkages together.turned out this was loose and stick had slid round too far so was fowling on edge of casing round hole in floor hence no 1st 2nd or reverse!

anyway that done and has been great for 400 miles but last few trips it has been difficult to engage any gear when cold,as soon as you've gone a few miles and done a few shifts it was smooth as anything again.however i have tried to go out this morning and couldn't engage any gear.eventually got it in reverse and now cant get it out.i remember when i was looking at the linkages before that i could pull them about from gearbox end and move through the gears here? well now its totally jammed and just wont move.i have disconnected the rods/linkages from here so its not jammed anywhere other than box.any helpful tips or links to technical articles and pictures which may help?
thanks in advance
ollie

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mmm, this has just happened to me sounds very similar anyway. I lost 5th gear and replaced this but then after a test run got back on the drive and tried gears in a static situation and it all jammed up could not get it out.
So stripped out the box and started to dismantle, it would appear that someone has made a previous repair to the reverse gear in my box and this repair was well dodgy, liqid metal in the casing as far as I can see and this in turn had worn the acsing away and everthing must have been out of line... lon and short of it new parts for box (including a new case) approx £600, new to me gearbox £250.
What I would do is drain you oil and see if there is any metal bits in there, when I drained mine some little bits of roller needle bearings came out with it so feared the worst :( Try that and see, when I was searching for a new box I did see a 2.4box on ebay for £95 can't go wrong (well unless its bushed) when buying a new box insist on draining the oil first then you can see if any bits come out if so do not purchase!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow didnt think i was going to get any replies now and was going to let the thread sink.as youve found it and taken the trouble to respond i shall update.it was a real pain when it happenned as this vehicle doubles up as my windsurfing bus(i can use car and roof bars)and also as transport for my disabled daughter in her very heavy electric wheelchair.i was off to spain next day and my wife was going to be a bit stuck if she needed to take kay anywhere!and we had to take her to an 18th party the day after my return and more impotantly to a previously cancelled operation in southampton yesterday.
ok back to what i have done. basically alot of pushing down pulling up and back and forth on lever on top of box and furious head scratching but nothing seemed to work. i unbolted a couple of bolts to side of this and then the bolt holding the lever to the shaft but nothing was moving still.me and my old man who i had called in desperation finally jacked up van and i then turned wheel by hand and thought"thats not turning engine" so i went back and looked like the shaft had popped up again and i could now move through gears again.so i assembled all linkages again and adjusted so could get all gears again and then fired her up and went for test ride.i could engage all gears and drive it but quite stiff to engage from a stand still especially when cold and i really thought my wife would struggle and i was worried it might jam again,so left it like that with instructions to only try to use whilst i was away in an emergency.
getting stiffer when the weather has got colder had me wondering if gear oil needed changing or level low or something so after getting back from spain i set off to halfords to buy a 17mm drain plug key and some fully synthetic gear oil. i then took out the filler plug 1st and found level too high and reasonably clean oil flowing out,so let it drain into a container and once level sucked some more out so it was a little lower(probably still a touch more than should be in it) i removed about half litre in total.i then put filler plug in and went for test drive.WOW what a difference it now seemed like a gearbox from a new car it is so smooth and light.
so that evening we took kay 35 miles each way to her party and drove off to have a meal ourselves before settling down in van to watch a dvd before picking her up,sunday i drove a 50 mile round trip to go windsurfing and yesterday drove 48 miles to southampton hospital and back and as she had to stay in have repeated today to pick her up, and van was an absolute pleasure to drive.by my reckoning thats over 300 miles so a reasonable test?
i still am not sure why it jammed but am guessing it was a kind of hydro locking type thing going on and when i couldnt get it in gear i was having to put loads of pressure on lever so when i finally got through i rammed it in to hard so dropped beyond where it should have?not sure if that sounds plausible but its working now and we are all happy againA::D:ILU:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts