VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's my first advice please type post!

Had my van now for 18 months & so far had to fork out for new discs & pads all round, track rod ends & ball joints & recently been killed with a broken cambelt (snapped camshaft) which involved an engine replacement including new belts, water pump, fluids & filters etc. & a new clutch which was worn. All in all I've spend about 3k :( van was only 2500! These hideous problems have only come about over the last 5 months so has been v hard. Would have scrapped it but have spent 12months & a lot of £££ converting it to a camper which does justify me keeping it.

Anyway rant over. When engine was replaced the garage told me that I have a noisy gearbox. The whining sound has been there since day one so thought it was normal(sounds like a dive bombing spitfire) but recently I've had a rattling sound that I can't put my finger on? It sounds like mig welding from underneath? This sound gets worse when accelerating but is still there with clutch in & when taken out of gear?

Any advice would be good as Id like to avoid any future big bills!
Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
if the gearbox has a whine the old school way of solving this would be drsin the gearbox oil out and add some 20w50 in and see if it is quiet if the gearbox has issues already then this wont hurt to try as far as the death rattle is concerned not sure could be a number of things

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
DMF? Didn't know these were to be had on a T4 - thought it was just a T5 disease. Think I'll be hanging onto my early T4 then.

Rattling sound? It is odd that is doesn't go away when you declutch/take out of gear. Had to replace my box due to Spitfire whine turning into Lancaster bomber roar. Was expensive (but I'm sure you don't want to hear that).

·
Registered
260 Posts
DMF? Didn't know these were to be had on a T4 - thought it was just a T5 disease. Think I'll be hanging onto my early T4 then.

Rattling sound? It is odd that is doesn't go away when you declutch/take out of gear. Had to replace my box due to Spitfire whine turning into Lancaster bomber roar. Was expensive (but I'm sure you don't want to hear that).
personally I wait till the Lancaster bomber roar turns into a bouncing bomb bang! ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
if the gearbox has a whine the old school way of solving this would be drsin the gearbox oil out and add some 20w50 in and see if it is quiet if the gearbox has issues already then this wont hurt to try as far as the death rattle is concerned not sure could be a number of things
20w50 mineral old time bike engine oil ???? insted of gearoil ????

Andy

sorry i dont mean to hijack or go off topic

·
Registered
48 Posts
that sounds like a horrible run, my old t4 2.5 was very whiny in 5th gear for about 6 months then one day when parking i put it in reverse and bang dropped all its gearbox oil. this was a gear box that was replaced only 5 years or so ago with a rebuilt 1. so i whiped my hands clean of that van and bought a t5.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys. Is it difficult to change the gearbox oil? Also does anyone know how much it would cost for a new dmf fitted?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nah it's not hard to change the gearbox oil, access is a lil bit tight on the drain plug I believe, think u need a 17mm allenkey thing (1/2 inch driven type won't work due to Clearence) I made something at work with a bolt and nut to use. I'm 75% sure they don't have a dmf, they are a solid flywheel. But yes I've been told dmf's are a bit expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts