VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post so go easy on me.. i,ve trolled through a lot of posts but can,t find the info i need.

Have 1.9 pd AXb engine with FJL gearbox.
Just had gearbox rebuilt due to broken 3/4th synchro hub. Person who rebuilt It said to put in 3.5 litres minimum of oil, but using standard filling procedure I can only get 2.25 litres in.
Can anyone tell me if this is enough?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I know the 2.5 holds about 3 litres and the 1.9 is less not sure on exact amount but believe if you are using filler bung by n/s driveshaft then fill to oil flows back out very slowly and all is good

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I filled through bung I only got about 2 litres in at first, but I thought that this was too little.

I spoke again to the guy that that done the rebuild. He was adamant that it needs 3.5 litres. He says that this is why they fail,, because of its shape its difficult to get enough oil to 5th gear area.,
After a short low speed run I tried again yesterday with van jacked as high as possible at the rear. Using a syringe and 10 inch length of flexible 6mm hose i was able to put another 1 litre in.
Im happier with the situation now. Just a warning to others when filling from completely dry you need to get over 3 litres in.

·
Registered
736 Posts
When I filled through bung I only got about 2 litres in at first, but I thought that this was too little.

I spoke again to the guy that that done the rebuild. He was adamant that it needs 3.5 litres. He says that this is why they fail,, because of its shape its difficult to get enough oil to 5th gear area.,
After a short low speed run I tried again yesterday with van jacked as high as possible at the rear. Using a syringe and 10 inch length of flexible 6mm hose i was able to put another 1 litre in.
Im happier with the situation now. Just a warning to others when filling from completely dry you need to get over 3 litres in.
Do not agree with this have not heard this ever mentioned before all filler bungs are at the correct level when vehicle on level ground so yours is now overfilled

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Think the official amount a 1.9 should take for a drain and refill is 1.8 litres and this was about right when doing mates van
I'm not so sure, but don't have any official figures.
I wanted to get over 3 litres in so that I had awarranty from the fella who done the rebuild. He reckons that low oil level is almost always the reason for rebuilding them.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I've just contacted TPS where I bought my oil. They are saying according to their data its 2.0 litres from empty for my 2004 1.9. I've also just checked the Opie Oils website and their data backs up TPS with 2.0 litres for all manual transmission 1.9 variants 2004-2009

Going to check mine and see if I can get a little more in as it took 1.7 litres.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've just contacted TPS where I bought my oil. They are saying according to their data its 2.0 litres from empty for my 2004 1.9. I've also just checked the Opie Oils website and their data backs up TPS with 2.0 litres for all manual transmission 1.9 variants 2004-2009

Going to check mine and see if I can get a little more in as it took 1.7 litres.
Your box probably wasn't completely empty, but i think you should try again.

should I drain some out so that I have less pressure on oil seals?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.