VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a 1.9td 800 and seems like the gearbox oil has gone into clutch area as engine oil level ok but the bung on top of the flywheel has had oil come out. now clutch is slipping and cant find any threads about a similar problem any ideas?

cheers sam

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
U will have 1 of 3 possible causes.
U have a failed simmering (lip seal) on the rear end / drive end of the engine that over time has let engine oil escape along the crank & messed up the clutch & flywheel. This will be "fairly common"

U may also have a failed oil seal on the gearbox main input shaft. Causing loss of gear box oil & eventually the same as above.
I consider this less likely

U COULD, if U have a hydraulic clutch, have a leak on the actuating clutch cylinder. Then U would be loosing both clutch control & hydraulic fluid rapidly.

The only way forward is pulling it all apart & shopping for a new clutch pack :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
hi, you may have a final drive problem in your gearbox ??

do you have a rough grinding sound coming from the transmission area, with a strong smell of gearbox oil ??

if so your diff unit may be letting go and has started to break up and caused the gearbox casing to crack and leak gear oil into the bell housing possibly due to debris floating around in the diff unit maybe ??

your best bet would be to remove the gearbox for a further inspection :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on the last mile before i pulled over it was crunching getting into gear van has a few oil leaks so thinking of taking the engine and gearbox out in one and fixing the hole lot is it a hard job i have a engine hoist

1 - 5 of 5 Posts