1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'98 1.9td SWB 1000

Is this the gearbox level / fill plug?

is this the gearbox drain plug?

What size is the hex drive supposed to be 17mm?

How much oil of what sort to refill?

Thanks, hope this stopps the knocking noise on deceleration.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Hi mate the one near your drive shaft is the drain plug & one at the front is your level plug yes buddy its 17mm drain plug key,,looks like the level one as been tightened too tight it shouldnt be flush with the casing they only need abit of a nip as it tappers into the gearbox housing so it could split/crack the box housing:gl,,

1.9 & 2.4 lt engines 02B gearbox code 2.5lts capacity

2.5 lt engine 02G gearbox code 2.3lts capacity

after draining it have the van on a level ground & refill till oil starts coming out where your refilling that should be the ticket use a good quallity SAE 75W90 (Synthetic oil)T:

cheers Rick

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
now thats not going to be easy job looking at the condition of that refill plug . i would advise you not to drain the oil out of the gearbox unless you really need to ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Aw mate , What a sorry mess of a plug !! looks like someones used :* a chisel to undo it !!
You could try to weld a nut or bolt to it ? mind and dont attempt to move it 'till its nice and cool ,:cool:,
the idea being that the heat of the welding will expand the plug slightly , the cooling should allow it to to shrink , and the nut or bolt should give ya summat to grip A: ,hope that does the trick ? T:

(Remember to dis-connect the earth of the battery before carrying out any welding work:eek:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somone had used a chisel to do up the level plug I think and mole/vice grips to do up the drain plug 'cause they couldn't be bothered to use a 17mm allen

Before tried to remove it

After

I dremeled the whole back to 17mm and then beat a 17mm hex / allen bit into it :( no cigar, just deforms. Tried using a hammer and chisel, I know I can at least remove it in bits this way, but it ain't turning.

I have no access welder here (Chamonix France) and i don't realy fancy my chances of welding secrely enough to the thing without killing the box, its a bi metalic plug, guesing steel magnet in a brass plug?

Looks like I'll have to source another pulg , then drill the old one to bits. Might try putting a big easy out in the middle of it.

Or

is there another way of getting oil into the box? is the 5th gear cover too low? What if I put a ramp or 2 under one side and tilt the van? I can get the drain plug out, just can't shift this one :(

Need to get oil back in so I can get the old sludge out + I don't think there is any or much in there with the noise it's making!

·
Registered
99 Posts
one option , if it were me i would remove the metal gearbox end cover , drill a 12mm hole in the top of it , get someone to weld a m12 nut on the out side where the new hole is , fill with oil through hole then fit a short m12 bolt in the nut along with a fibre / copper washer ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts