VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something hasdegraded rapidly - what can it be?

Have had a slight whine that follows the speed of the vehicle for a while.

Recently, an additional, louder noise when running in 3rd gear, and a little in 5th gear.

This accelerated last Saturday, even lounder for 3rd, medium for 5th and audible for 4th.

Another thing also happened, and that is that became very difficult to shift gears!

Could this be something with the gear linkage, or is it something within the gearbox?
I'm thinking that something is preventing the ingoing shaft from rotating freely, so it stops when I press the clutch - does that make sense?
It doesn't explain the original noise that follows the vehicle's speed - I'm thinking that's a bearing on the outgoing shaft.

Any thoughts/advice on what I should check?

Multivan Syncro -98 2,5 manual 5 speed with 210 000 km (125 000 miles) on the clock

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Get underneath and spray the linkage with a good dollop of grease,and then remove gearstick gaitor in the cab and spray down in the bottom also.Then you will see if your linkage was a bit dry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could have stated more clearly that the gearstick moves around freely, if anything it's sloppy. The difficulty is to get the next gear to engage when shifting gears :(

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Could have stated more clearly that the gearstick moves around freely, if anything it's sloppy. The difficulty is to get the next gear to engage when shifting gears :(
Its the Gearbox :( T4 Gearboxes aren't the best in the world.

The Linkages will be fine, no matter how worn the bushes are you should still be able to get the gears.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its the Gearbox :( T4 Gearboxes aren't the best in the world.

The Linkages will be fine, no matter how worn the bushes are you should still be able to get the gears.
I was afraid that I'd get that answer ... :)

Could it be sufficient to replace a bearing or two, or am I facing a complete rebuild?

Can a SYNCRO gearbox be removed in the same way as a normal gearbox, or do I need to remove engine/gearbox together?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Hi man, I seem to be having difficulty and it sounds very similar:
When working up to motorway speeds, through the gearbox, most of the time it goes from fourth back into third, and when you can find fifth, it's almost like in the same place as third. I haven't had time to investigate further yet, as currently away with work, but was hoping it'd be a selector fork or worn linkage bushes which could be replaced relatively easily and for not too many $$$$.

Keep posting to let us know what you find & how you get on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi man, I seem to be having difficulty and it sounds very similar:
When working up to molyorway speeds, through the gearbox, most of the time it goes from fourth back into third, and when you can find fifth, it's almost like in the same place as third. I haven't had time to investigate further yet, as currently away with work, but was hoping it'd be a selector fork or worn linkage bushes which could be replaced relatively easily and for not too many $$$$.

Keep posting to let us know what you find & how you get on.
I've been reading other posts until my eyes bleed :jmpg

If your problem is just about 5th gear, then perhaps you simply have a bad 5th !
On many vans, thats seems relatively easy to fix with the box in the van.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Ha very easily done, reading this forum till your eyes ache.

Hopefully I'll be able to sort something out next time I can get home and spend some time on the old tools, Cheers man

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dont leave it too long, i bought my van knowing it had a gearbox noise but it only lasted about 50 miles on the drive home when i collected it. Found this when i got home.:eek:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cogwheels with no cogs :GL

Don't think my gearbox looks like that though, since all gears are affected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts