VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help...

Basically my 2.4D is running A1 apart from no drive, when in 5th. Gearbox is quiet, no crunches, noise, ect...changes into 5th whether the engine is running or not, but as I say there's no drive:(

Read a lot of posts involving 5th gear upgrades, so took the gearbox cover off today and thankfully my 5th gear cogs are all in tact, oil is clean, no debris, etc...

I 'think' the issue is with the fork selector - not sure if that's it's correct name?! But where it sits into the syncro housing top and bottom it's worn and jagged. The inside of the syncro ring has been marked as a result. Trouble is I don't know what a 'in tact' one looks like...please, please help!

Cheers, Mike

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
It's difficult to see from the photo mate but it looks like your synchro locating pegs are missing and have come out causing damage to the selector fork/synchro slider mechanism.
The top of your chewed part should look like a sort of large flat "screwdriver bit" that sits in a groove in the synchro pushing it in and out when selecting/deselecting 5th.
You will find it very difficult to re-assemble the synchro with the large gear on the shaft. I suggest you check the condition of the inner and outer "synchro locating peg retaining springs".
Also you will need to find where all the worn metal has gone from the selector and the synchro locating pegs.
I suggest you pop a long reach magnet into the gearbox hole to see if it picks anything up because if it is in there it will cause major problems in future.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the pic Gazza G and appreciate the info tonybaloni - I hear what you're saying and they are still peg shaped - just! They do seem to have a lot of movement, maybe that's normal? I would have removed the selector for a better pic, but I don't have the right size torx bits to hand as I'm currently visiting my parents, this happenned out of the blue and need to get it fixed asap so I can get home!!!

I already think I'm out of my depth, have minimal tools to hand and little time! However If I do get tooled up, am guessing it would be VW for parts?

Alternatively, can you recommend anywhere in North Yorks to get it looked at? The closer to Knaresborough/Harrogate the better!!

Thanks again, Mike

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Thanks for the pic Gazza G and appreciate the info tonybaloni - I hear what you're saying and they are still peg shaped - just! They do seem to have a lot of movement, maybe that's normal? I would have removed the selector for a better pic, but I don't have the right size torx bits to hand as I'm currently visiting my parents, this happenned out of the blue and need to get it fixed asap so I can get home!!!

I already think I'm out of my depth, have minimal tools to hand and little time! However If I do get tooled up, am guessing it would be VW for parts?

Alternatively, can you recommend anywhere in North Yorks to get it looked at? The closer to Knaresborough/Harrogate the better!!

Thanks again, Mike
For price You would probably be better finding a local scrap yard as the parts worn in your box will be more than likely OK.
A whole box from a scrapper will be cheaper than the synchro alone which on yours looks quite worn.
You can get the Torx bits from Halford's or Machine mart and you will just need a standard two legged puller to get the large gear off.
Aggie did a good write up here on how to do the 5th gear mod that will do for your purposes. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22159
I think there is a large van breakers on the York rd between Leeds and York. (not too far from harrogate) If you can get a cheap box and take the lot off it will make your job easier as you can keep the synchro together if you are careful and it will just slot on in one.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I'd update this incase anyone stumble across it...

Turned out to be the selector 'pegs' or 'segments' as VW called them. They were only about a tenner eachT: don't like I did, not order a new circlip that holds the 3 pegs that hold the syncro hub onto the layshaft. Turned out mine was damaged, but hard to tell by eye and without knowing what a new one looked like I was none the wiser! 22p I think It was and got a couple of spares;) Without this, It didn't all work properly.

Oh, and no need for a pulled to replace these parts - 5th gear cogs don't have to be removed

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

Turned out to be the selector 'pegs' or 'segments' as VW called them. They were only about a tenner eachT: don't like I did, not order a new circlip that holds the 3 pegs that hold the syncro hub onto the layshaft. Turned out mine was damaged, but hard to tell by eye and without knowing what a new one looked like I was none the wiser! 22p I think It was and got a couple of spares;) Without this, It didn't all work properly.

Oh, and no need for a pulled to replace these parts - 5th gear cogs don't have to be removed
I know where to come if I need a spring. :D

·
Registered
425 Posts

Sorry for resurrecting an old(ish) thread. But I think this is exactly the same problem I have. Was driving on motorway when 5th just stopped having any drive. Didn't recall any loud noise to symbolise anything terrible happening, all other gears work fine, and the van can be put into 5th engine on or not.

Was wondering what parts exactly you ordered to fix it, and where you got them from? T:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries and yep that sounds familiar. Mine went from driving perfect, to no drive in 5th gear at all. No noises, no clunks, no nothing. All other gears worked perfect. You'll need to get the parts from VW, they were not expensive.
Even if you're problem is not exactly the same as mine, just pop the cover off the end of the box and have a nosy.
Good luckT:

·
Registered
425 Posts
No worries and yep that sounds familiar. Mine went from driving perfect, to no drive in 5th gear at all. No noises, no clunks, no nothing. All other gears worked perfect. You'll need to get the parts from VW, they were not expensive.
Even if you're problem is not exactly the same as mine, just pop the cover off the end of the box and have a nosy.
Good luckT:
Blimey, that was a rapid reply. I do hope my problem is the same as yours, going down the sheared cog route would be a pain in the backside at the minute what with the other jobs I need to get sorted. And right now, the 5th gear mod can wait frankly, I just want the van on the road properly and fully.

So, just so I know, what parts did you order to complete the job? Honestly, this, the fuel pump leak and smoke on startup have had me googling and searching the forums so much in just a few days of ownership ha ha :eek:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I aim to please;)
I ordered:
2 x selector segments
1 x circlip
Gearbox oil
Off hand, about £50 worth of bits and straightforward to replace. Click on the link in 'Post 2' of this thread and you'll see the damage to mine

·
Registered
425 Posts
I aim to please;)
I ordered:
2 x selector segments
1 x circlip
Gearbox oil
Off hand, about £50 worth of bits and straightforward to replace. Click on the link in 'Post 2' of this thread and you'll see the damage to mine
Awesome T: I imagine a big chunk of that is the oil ha ha. I certainly can't trust myself to do the job, but getting the parts will be a good start to it all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Called the vw commercial place, "part no?" Umm, sorry no. "Chassis no.?" Sorry no, my van is parked elsewhere as well. "Reg plate?" ah yes, easy. So I tell him. "that's not on the database here . . . " Oh, great. That last one is a bit worrying ha ha. :*

Anyway, couldn't order as there were apprently about 15 different parts all similar. So gonna have to get chassis no, to them first. Good news is they can get the selectors in overnight. Now I wonder if my chassis is gonna match with the gearbox in it ha ha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts