VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone advise me if its possible to change my pathetically low geared t4 800 special gearbox for a six speed box ,I believe to come out of 1.9td Octavia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ........

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My solution to this was to commision a custom geared gearbox which sees me sitting at about 2700 revs at 70mph.

As far as a 6 speed box goes, it would appear that any vehicle witha gearbox of the 02 series, other than the T4, has an engine that sits straight up and down, whereas the T4 leans forward - this creates problems with the gearbox to engine bolts.

I am considering finding a solution to this using either a spacer plate or changing components over between boxes however that too seems difficult.

The easiest way in my mind would be to fit either the 6 speed internals to an 02b bell housing, or to swap the engine side gearbox case from the o2b onto the 6 speed box.

I have done some research into this and found no straightforward option. I do however feel that if, and its a big if, i could have gearbox casings cast somewhere then i could effectively create a 6 speed box for the t4 - as i believe all i would need to do is relocate the bell housing mounting bolt holes... and maybe the pendulum arm mount and top mount.

Then it leaves the question of would one of these 6 speed boxes be strong enough for the weight of the T4 and the demands put on it by regular load carrying etc...

I'm considering trying to get a spare 02b gearbox and a similar 6 speed box so that i can begin to compare in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Can anyone advise me if its possible to change my pathetically low geared t4 800 special gearbox for a six speed box ,I believe to come out of 1.9td Octavia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated ........
The original box is matched to the low torque output from the ABL engine - I'm not sure a 1.9td has enough oomph in standard form T:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts