VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend somebody around Shropshire who knows there way around a T5 1.9 gearbox that has developed a whine ? I'm thinkin the way forward with this is to buy the new genuine VW bearings and have the box stripped and rebuilt been quoted £500 and i supply the new bearings at around £100 for the main hefty g/box bearings. Trouble is the place thats quoted me this is about 40 mile away in Staffordshire and i live in Telford Shropshire, i would like to find someone in or around the county that knows their way around T5's or who possibly has a decent second hand box . All help appreciated. T:

·
Registered
72 Posts
hi did u get this sorted? got a whining gearbox on a caravelle. whines in any gear above 30mph, otherwise drives lovely noise doing my head in!! What was your fault? cheers K :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I had a whine from my gearbox and excessive backlash on the differential ,had it stripped and it was the pinion shaft bearings gone, had all the bearings replaced and the box was lovely and tight but still had a whine in 5th, turned out the 5th gear was noisy, you could not see anything wrong with it but when it was replaced it was as perfect. 5th gears can be replaced with the box in but might be worth checking 4th as this cannotI: They are very common for bearing to go but dont leave it to long as they can damage the casing and that would be a bit expensive:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
cheers for that will do some investigative work tomorrow. damn annoying as drives perfect just annoying noise in any gear over 30mph.
cheers K :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts