VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trouble with 5th gear...It wouldn't select at all, replaced the shift segments and it now selects but jumps out as soon as you touch the throttle. The gearbox oil was low and from what I've read about others having similar issues, it sounds like the 5th gear cogs will need replacing. Checked all the linkage both ends and all seems well there...anyone got any spares, the closer to North Yorkshire the better. Oh and 02B box I believe for a 1.9D

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
634 Posts
I had this with my old box. It had run low on oil in the past and I replaced the segments. There was a load off load rumbling come from the box as well. There was a lot of play in the shaft that the 5th gear was bolted to, leading me to believe the bearings where shot. The oil was very "metallic". In the end, I changed the box. My new box has a slight crunch going into second if I rush the gear change, but other than that, the oil is really clean and in stayed in all gears.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
same thing happended to mine , sheared all the teath off 5th gear due to lack of oil which causes the gears to over heat

Get a 5th Gear out of a Golf 1.9TDI 02A Box T:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts