VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can't say it's the easiest in a 2.5 TDi caravelle with rear heating
I had to cut the coolant pipes that run to the rear heater and remove extra brackets for the pipes
Also there was a engine brace bar that fits over the top of the pivot bracket that had to come out
Spent most of the day figuring out what and what not to disconnect, then just going for it
Now having problems finding the coolant pipes locally, 701-819-372-G was easy enough but 7DO-121-157AD is coming from Germany, ETA a weeks time

State of play as of tonight

IMG_20170911_183245 by Dave Gale, on Flickr

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for posting this,found it very useful,the trouble is - i cannot see the pics,is there anyway you make them "visible" or message them to me.i think the description is great but i like to be able to visualise what i need to do - thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to add my thanks for this article and the subsequent comments. My 97 1.9TD had part 45 (53?) (701-711-166) disintegrate. Following the article I managed to replace it from the top without taking the "T-bar" out of the engine. Helpful were the suggestions of attaching the re-built bracket to the smaller ball before reattaching to the engine and pushing the ball in sideways. Both helped me get a g-cramp into position to help with the final push. Richard

·
Registered
522 Posts
Anyone any idea what this bit is all about and why it's not attached to anything? The square plate section just spins freely when touched?
t attached to anything

·
Registered
7 Posts
Billy-Bob,do you still have the photos you took of tool you made for replacing the gearbox bush?If so could you PLEASE let me have a copy so I can finish the job!

Grateful if you can Dave Ormie

·
Registered
43 Posts
A few weeks ago one of my gear bushes went, and at the time I had no idea what it was or how to fix it. I found that I could drive and find all the gears after a while, so that was some relief, but I still needed to fix it. After plenty of searching and youtube videos, I worked out what I hoped needed doing, so I bought a cheap pack on eBay. Unfortunately, it wasn't one of the balls that went, but the gearshift rod bush (see picture below), which by all accounts was going to be harder to fix, and probably not doable by me on the road. I removed the old part that was hanging on and a friend and I gave it a go. We put the bush in boiling water, which made it super flexible, but far too much so, and it just got pushed out through the other side, and then when it cooled, the rubber had deteriorated. After a fair bit of time, we realised that wasn't going to work, only to find I now no longer had reverse, 1st or 5th gear.

Anyhow the reason for the post is because I thought I'd better try to hold it together with cable ties to get it to the garage, but as I was about to try that, a friend mentioned bike inner tubes. I bought one from Poundland today and managed to wrap it once around the rod, then through the hole where the bush should go, then back around the back of the perpendicular rod going back to the gearstick, and then tied the two ends together (I've tried to show what I mean in the picture below). As a result, the ball is held where it should be and I have all gears back. I used some cable ties to stop the inner tube slipping, but it holds onto itself pretty well. I don't know how long it will last, but hopefully enough to get to the garage (200 miles away!) and won't catch fire or melt - I've no idea how hot that area of the engine bay gets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Had myT4 for 16 years now and done this job a few times. The gear shift is the best part of the bus these days - lol..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys!

Still in the middle of my repair (replaced torn bushing on gearbox side) but haven't yet pressed the small plastic sphere back into the bushing...

My T4 TDI 9ACV, 02G, DXZ will be 10 years old in May, and has not had major repairs - apart from a water pump replace due to wrong coolant mix used by de-listed VW workshop.

The excellent German VW mechanic who did the repair wanted me to have the van towed 30 km to his workshop because he said he wanted to remove the starter to get at the linkages from below, "otherwise it's an almost impossible job". It sure was next to impossible, what with all the coolant/airconditioning hoses criss-crossing the 'work area'...

The most time-consuming job was to get the three hex socket screws of the bracket out: I made three trips into town by bus to buy an ever-increasing stock of tools! But getting them back into place was even worse LOL

Now before I start levering the balls back into the bushes, I find myself looking at an unusual angled bracket (part no. 701 399 355) that I can't remember where I took it off...

BTW, the German mechanic suggested pushing the small sphere into the bushing SIDEWAYS, as that would be easier, and then fiddling to line up the hole with the shaft. I left the sphere intact on the shaft, the other one too, since they look o.k.

Cheers,

LMH a.k.a. carioca
On lefthand drive models you've also got the brake servo in the way!!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts