VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with baby Geko here, i decided it was time i got a trailer to cart all the stuff about I need like camping kit, outdoors kit, bikes, kayaks, climbing gear oh and maybe a little space left over to fit some baby stuff I:LOL:

Next door neighbors dad was selling his old one that he never uses, so i crossed his had with 50 daps and got this:

The plan is to strip it all down, and then build it up to 3foot high so it becomes a box trailer, then prime it and paint the metal work up all black, then board it out with doors on the back, new lights, number plate and some Geko detailing, then colour code it the broads to the same colour as the van :D

Then I want to fix some roof rails on top so i can carry my kayak or a roof box, and possible some brackets on the side to carry the bikes :ILU:

Phase One

Started to strip it down took out all the old wood that was rotting and chipped away the rust in the angle iron and scraped some of it down.

So for this

·
Registered
737 Posts
keep the build pics coming, the forum needs good builds like this to keep us interested as builds / transformations are getting short on this forum!! good luck fella!A:

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so an update on the Geko Activity Box Trailer :D

So we've started to add the extra steel to make it in to a box trailer, i can't believe how cheap the steel is, just wish i could weld and I'd be building stuff all the time T:

Once all the frame work was done we have had it sand blasted at strip all the rust off and am now painting it with red oxide as an undercoat.

The two pieces for frame work on the side will eventually have some supports on so we can hang the bikes on the side of the trailer T:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
hey matt, long time no see

very creative lol - is that your garage? massive

i have a master plan to solve the welding and mechanical side of my t4

one son is in reme and doing a welding course and will learn all about diesel engines, so when he's home on leave will get him to keep van serviced and weld anything that needs doing lol

got to make himself useful and pay his board some how when home ay LOL:

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey matt, long time no see

very creative lol - is that your garage? massive

i have a master plan to solve the welding and mechanical side of my t4

one son is in reme and doing a welding course and will learn all about diesel engines, so when he's home on leave will get him to keep van serviced and weld anything that needs doing lol

got to make himself useful and pay his board some how when home ay LOL:
You get yourself to a meet then T:

wish it was my garage, thats my local garage, there good lads there helping me with my build :D mates rates and a few beers :cheers

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thought i best update this, i'm just lazy at uploading pics of my phone, oh and there was the small event of getting married and going on honeymoon :D:D

anyway this is whats been done

got the whole frame painted with iron-oxide to stop the rust :ILU:

then have painted the frame black, and added a jockey wheel

I've also got all the boards cut just need to find time to get them treated and then painted lime green to match the van :D

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Looking good Matt T:.

Not teaching you to suck eggs or anything but make sure that the 'geko green' topcoat is compliant with the green timbercare you've used, if the timbercare is water based then you're fine but if it's oil based then check what your topcoat is.
Wouldn't want it peeling off after all the hardwork T:.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Looks tidy T: Going to look very smart behind the van.. Reminds me i must make a start on my trailer, only been 2 years I:

;)

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking good Matt T:.

Not teaching you to suck eggs or anything but make sure that the 'geko green' topcoat is compliant with the green timbercare you've used, if the timbercare is water based then you're fine but if it's oil based then check what your topcoat is.
Wouldn't want it peeling off after all the hardwork T:.
cheers Alan all tips welcome T:

but i should be ok the timbercare is water based to should go straight on. i originally got some stuff that didn't advise painting over it so took it back and got the timbercare :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Matt can i ask what size is the trailer 3x4 ? or bigger
I am thinking of building one but cant decide what size to make it
Jacko
PS you are making a great job of what you are doing

1 - 20 of 39 Posts