VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to do a front gen 2 bearing on my Daughters car, any one bought the tool if so what one did you get?

Will the freezer trick help on these gen 2 bearings?

Just looking for some advice (y) (y) (y)

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I bought mine from eBay which is for my T5. There are several different sizes available singly or you can buy a multi kit, for more money. If you go the ebay route check they havecstock before you buy. I watched a couple of YouTube videos on how it worked. Unfortunately the lead time meant I had to get the garage to do the work for the MOT. I only replaced it as the reluctor ring for the ABS is part of the bearing,and changing the sensor did not fix the problem.

·
Registered
2006 T5 T30
34 Posts
Probably too late to help, but having done the rear wheel bearings on my T5 (they are also GEN2 type bearings) I would say the tool is the ONLY way to do it. The problem is removing them from the hub, the tool has specific reaction plates for each vehicle. I have access to some big presses at work, but unless you can find a way to hold it a press wouldnt help.

I bought a chinese copy of a Sealey / Laser tool, and despite my concerns ( I had to swing off a 3ft breaker bar before the bearing let go!), it worked perfectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts