VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a pair of limo tinted genuine vw bolt in sliders on ebay, paid a bit more more than I had planned to (£360), but they both look immaculate, and a phone call to VW made me feel better about the price...from a dealer the drivers side is £460 and the pass side is £440 :eek:.
My mate has fitted non sliding bonded windows to his van and has said he'd give me a hand, so is there much different in the fitting of these ?

Cheers guys.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
I've just taken my genuine VW sliders out of my doors, a work of moments. Transferring to new(er) doors.

I'd be happy to take pictures of the doors with no windows in with measurements if you can wait till Monday.

As you say, they are bolt in, but it might help if you know what size the hole and the radius of the corners are.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
If they are like mine they sit slightly proud. Some people do prefer the sleek glass sheets, but the genuine caravelle ones look better (imho) than many aftermarket ones that were sold before the glass sheet ones, they always look a bit small. I do like the simple glass sheets and might be tempted to fit them but dont know whether I would miss the sliding bit....decisions...

these pics might help, but I'll do a selection for you monday.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
Ok< I Have done a series of pics, if you PM me your email address I can the send Hi Res pics so you can see the measurements easily of the opening, I have taken a few shots. Hopefully you can see how far in the lip is, not sure how your door will be cut to give you that recessed lip? The hole starts from the edge of the door hangle inside, as a guide.
Here is a small selection of the pics anyway, Michael

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
If you are fitting genuine Caravelle sliders into a van they won't fit very well without quite a bit of work. The Caravelle and van are designed slightly different and although the windows will fit in a van they sit proud of the recess and look awful (ie you will have a visible gap between the window frame and panel).

The inner and outer skins on the Caravelle are spot welded together from the factory, on the van they are not and have approx 10mm of sealer between the 2 skins.

To fit them in a van you will need to remove all the sealer from between the inner and outer skins, no easy way just has to be scraped out.

Obviously the hole needs to be cut for the windowI:

The inner and outer skins then need to be fixed to each other, this can be done by welding them or bonding them together. To bond them, just apply bonder between skins, clamp, and leave over night.

Once this is done then dril the holes for the window bolts, trial fit the window and you may then need to dress the skins together to get the window to fit perfectly.

There is another way to do this but it involves cutting away the outer skin and just fitting the window to the inner skin, to be honest is a bodge job (although Steiner will disagree with meI:)

The normal non sliding windows will fit without doing all this because they are alot thinner and can be pushed into the hole more, plus they have a rubber seal which takes up the gap leaving them looking flush.

If you do a search this topic has been extensively covered and there are pics showing how to cut the holes and bond the skins.

Jay

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
If you look at the pic below the inner and outer skins are tightly welded together, on the van they aren't and there is sealer between the 2 meaning the window won't fit in the hole properly

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok< I Have done a series of pics, if you PM me your email address I can the send Hi Res pics so you can see the measurements easily of the opening, I have taken a few shots. Hopefully you can see how far in the lip is, not sure how your door will be cut to give you that recessed lip? The hole starts from the edge of the door hangle inside, as a guide.
Here is a small selection of the pics anyway, Michael

I've got the same pair to install and I wonder what type of nuts do I need to fit these?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you are fitting genuine Caravelle sliders into a van they won't fit very well without quite a bit of work. The Caravelle and van are designed slightly different and although the windows will fit in a van they sit proud of the recess and look awful (ie you will have a visible gap between the window frame and panel).

The inner and outer skins on the Caravelle are spot welded together from the factory, on the van they are not and have approx 10mm of sealer between the 2 skins.

To fit them in a van you will need to remove all the sealer from between the inner and outer skins, no easy way just has to be scraped out.

Obviously the hole needs to be cut for the windowI:

The inner and outer skins then need to be fixed to each other, this can be done by welding them or bonding them together. To bond them, just apply bonder between skins, clamp, and leave over night.

Once this is done then dril the holes for the window bolts, trial fit the window and you may then need to dress the skins together to get the window to fit perfectly.

There is another way to do this but it involves cutting away the outer skin and just fitting the window to the inner skin, to be honest is a bodge job (although Steiner will disagree with meI:)

The normal non sliding windows will fit without doing all this because they are alot thinner and can be pushed into the hole more, plus they have a rubber seal which takes up the gap leaving them looking flush.

If you do a search this topic has been extensively covered and there are pics showing how to cut the holes and bond the skins.

Jay
I've just fittted one in my van. I got it out another van (not caravelle) which had it factory fitted. My van was a panel van that had already had the hole cut before I bought it. I can confirm what Jay says above. The sliding window doesn't really want to fit in properly. there's still a small gap between the window frame and the body. But it's such a relief to have a window that opens. :*

1 - 12 of 12 Posts