VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just moved to Germany bringing our 1995 T4 with us and were completely ignorant of the Umwelt zones. Our van displays an emissions sticker 3 which we have learned is no good in the umwelt zones.

So, what are our options? Can any work be done on the van to make it compliant or are we looking at selling it in the UK?

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi
I suppose that depence on if you intend to live or drive into those zones.
They are not everywhere. Some of the big citys have got them. Most place s
Are not Umweltzonen
I can ask a few questions in the German T4 Forum for you if you like.
Would need the details of your van.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yep we live in an umwelt zone and will need to sort something. We've learned today that we can fit a particle something or other, get the number 4 sticker, then get a tuv then we can register the van! Just waiting on a quote for the work. Still wondering though whether all that is financially viable or whether to sell??

Re the details, its a t4 1995 1.9 turbo diesel.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Cost a few thousand fir a TUV approve partical filter.

If the van is standard sell it and buy aone with a green sticker.

If your van is not standard then you will have fun registering it anyway.

Remember the Germans love of papers for anything not standard. Eg even if your non original wheels are suitably rate loaded I'd there is no KBA number on them or you don't have an ABE Paper for them you will not be using them. Also if the tyres are not suitable for the rim width. New tyres.

But you can run lower speed rated winter tyres as long as you have a sticker on your dash reminding you of the Max speed.

Also remember if the temp is below 7 degrees you should have winters on. And if you have an accident on summers when it is winter conditions it will be deemed to be your fault.

Use full site for you http://www.thelocal.de also the attached forum is a good source of info and help.

Where abouts are you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh a few thousand? Man from the vehicle registry said between 300 and 1400 euro. Will see how the quotes are.

Winter Tyres sorted...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Good luck...I have crossed Germany off my holiday list because of these patches of the country you can't go to. Shame as I would like to re-visit much of it again.

But I will just have to spend my cash elsewhere. :D

Or wait until I can afford a newer van instead of getting the full value / less pollution than building another one, out of my current van. I:

Go Green my 4rse Rasp:

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,237 Posts
Good luck...I have crossed Germany off my holiday list because of these patches of the country you can't go to. Shame as I would like to re-visit much of it again.

But I will just have to spend my cash elsewhere. :D

Or wait until I can afford a newer van instead of getting the full value / less pollution than building another one, out of my current van. I:

Go Green my 4rse Rasp:
Is all the stuff in this thread about requirements to register a vehicle in the country as opposed to passing through on holiday though?

I hope so as I quite fancy taking my 2000 T4 abroad, going into various countries, including Germany

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Is all the stuff in this thread about requirements to register a vehicle in the country as opposed to passing through on holiday though?

I hope so as I quite fancy taking my 2000 T4 abroad, going into various countries, including Germany
all means of transport from anywhere.

see the topics on low emmision zones in Europe.

here you go
http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10532

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I don't understand is that I've seen loads of old T4's around with no sticker at all...

Still waiting on the quote by the way. Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
What I don't understand is that I've seen loads of old T4's around with no sticker at all...

Still waiting on the quote by the way. Will keep you posted...
Correct the old ones don't get a sticker and they can not go into the Umwelt zone.

But note this. There is no register of ok vehicles. There is no automated reg plate readers everywhere. Some of the larger cities do have some cameras.

Only the police can stop you or pull you over. But if parked up then traffic wardens can fine you.

Some areas will issue a pass to allow a non compliant vehicle into a Zone.

Also some businesses also have a dispensation to allow non euro 4 vehicles to access their premises.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nicklouse, the old vans that I have seen with no sticker are in the umwelt zone!

Geodawg, glad we're not the only ones blissfully unaware!

The garage we're speaking with have all the details they need now and are pricing up. I really hope we can sort it, we need the van here, there's just so much to do and the thought of driving it to the uk and parting with it does not do anything for me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts