VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been pulled by the Rozzers for having German fonts on me numberplate, surely this doesn't make any difference so long as you can read the letters and numbers? Anyway gave me a warning and if it aint sorted it's a £60 fine. There's always something!!! :confused:(

·
Registered
737 Posts
although i agree with you, it shouldn't make a difference, but it does.

you have to use the specified font and spacing, repeat offenders can, and have been, reported to the DVLA.

if that happens yo lose your plate and your van goes onto a Q plate.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
its all to do with the ANPR cameras and the fact that the police dont like the traditional detective way of catching people!

You can however have british font and spacing with a german pressed style plate.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yep, its not even legal to have the vehicle badge at the side u know. I believe u are only allowed "some" flags there also eg England Scotland Wales, but not foregien ones!
I have slightly altered letters & the vw badge at the side & have not been stoped in 4 years. When choosing them though I always go for something that is only subtlly different.
I did get stopped by a motorbike cop in my old car & as mentioned above he admitted he was quite happy with em as he could read em no prob, but the bloody anpr on the front of his bike could not!

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Been down this road with all my cars and it seems the rules get much tighter on vehicles registered 2001 on. pre this you can slide the odd font indescression past but after that the black rats can skin you alive! I mean its obviously the crime of the century and inexcusable isn't it, cue the usual, 'well rules are rules' replies:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah mine are like that buggy girl but with GB instead of D, had mine on for 2 years in London and not been stopped once, well did get stopped but they were interested in numberplate. Moved to Lincolnshire 6 months ago and they are on me! Looks like I'll have to tow the line and get me some Charles Wright legal font!!! I'll keep the German ones for special Occasions!T:

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I've seen some number plates that are totally 'scribbled' or have the numbers/letters narrowed etc- how they get away with it is beyond me :*

Still, 'Charles Wright' font is the only legal font in the UK. Use anything else and it's breaking the law, simples. I know, it's sad but hey......

I've got pressed metal plates in the CW font so I'm a good girl Rasp: x

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Been down this road with all my cars and it seems the rules get much tighter on vehicles registered 2001 on. pre this you can slide the odd font indescression past but after that the black rats can skin you alive! I mean its obviously the crime of the century and inexcusable isn't it, cue the usual, 'well rules are rules' replies:D

well rules are rules :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
Lets put it another way, you van is nicked, you want it back. The police put a marker against on the DVLA database and it pings everytime it goes through a ANPR camera. ANPR does not ping if it can not read the font.....
The choice is down to the owner............I know what plates I would want on my van

·
MASTER OF REPAIRS
295 Posts
Had my german font style plates on for 2 years but now its near xmas the local ass holes pulled me and gave me a £60 spot fine
Merry f***ing xmas to all the local constabulary, w*****s.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Lets put it another way, you van is nicked, you want it back. The police put a marker against on the DVLA database and it pings everytime it goes through a ANPR camera. ANPR does not ping if it can not read the font.....
The choice is down to the owner............I know what plates I would want on my van
hear hear,

but then again,if someone does nick my bus,i dont think i`d want it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Conversly, if its a crime to have german font, having it on the van means plod will spot you and pull you over and if you are not the registered owner, nick you, perfect:D

Sadly, when a van goes missing, it doesn't matter what plates its got, they disappear, know a forum member that is a policeman, t5 went and has never been seen since, if his can vanish, legal plates are not going to help really:(

·
Registered
796 Posts
I keep my"legal" plates in the back of the bus and if i did happen to get stopped by the dibble i am fairly sure that i would just be on my way home from a meet,show and i will swop them over right now officer, very sorry officer etc,etcI:I:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being the only green van in the town not sure that keeping a set of legals in the van would wash for too long with the local Rozzers gonna have to tow the line on this one if I don't wanna get a £60 fine. Got some German pressed ones but with legal font ordered thanks for the info chaps. T:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Got my UK font pressed metal ones from funplates, just teh job and fully compliant.

Those that have the german plates and "D" badge at the side, fair enough, but don't twist your face when you get landed with a FPN......

·
Premium Member
5,208 Posts
What I don't understand is why anyone wants to appear to be from another country anyway :*

Aren't we supposed to be proud to be British??

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
What I don't understand is why anyone wants to appear to be from another country anyway :*

Aren't we supposed to be proud to be British??
I think it is because vw are German not so much saying I am French , German etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts