VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're preparing to take the plunge and buy a VW camper for evenings/weekends away - just two of us and the dog.

So I'm trying to get my eye in and understand the different options we have. Pretty though they are, we're not in T6 territory price wise, but I've been told it can't be manky either. So the budget is up to the 15-16K mark which should get us a reasonable T5 (or perhaps 5.1?). But I rather like the look of the T4, so I wondered if anyone can point me at a T4 vs T4 guide as a starter.

I'm not a mechanic - I have an old car but it's really simple to maintain, so whatever we get will need to be reliable (once serviced etc). It needs a pop-top and electric hook up, but I think these things can be added.

So can someone get me started ?

Simon

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a T4 2.4l then about 2006 changed to a T5 2.5l - they were like chalk & cheese. I'd been happy with the T4 (wanted one for many years) but the T5 was so much better to drive - much more power. I dont drive like a maniac, but the extra power is so useful & reassuring; even fully loaded the van never feels over-stressed. Still have it. However, this is the 5cyl 2.5l T5 I'm talking about, which ended in 2009ish, so cant tell you about the 1.9 & 2l 4cylinder T5s. I'd advise research a lot on the different engine & bhp variants, & where go possible go for more bhp than less, for a camper.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You could also get a 2.5 in a T4 shell, probably a bit cheaper so spend what you save on a mega foreign trip!!

Rhys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I'm looking at a 2.0L T28 Startline, then that's going to be a T5.1 (no cut in the bonnet for badge). Is there anything in that description that tells me the BHP or are all the 2.0L's the same?

S

·
Registered
3 Posts
If I were you I’d look for a late T4 westfalia Exclusive All LHD but fantastic layout

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts