VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So picking up a van on friday evening. I will have insurance for it, but as im picking it up in the evning, i wont be able to get it taxed?

Is there anyway around this?
ali

·
Registered
759 Posts
So picking up a van on friday evening. I will have insurance for it, but as im picking it up in the evning, i wont be able to get it taxed?

Is there anyway around this?
ali
buy the tax online if you get stopped
by the rozzers they know its taxed
you tell them dvla is posting the disc
T:T:T:

B

·
0 Posts
book it in at a garage near you for an mot,you are allowed to drive an insured vehicle for an mot with no tax
finding an MOT station open on a Friday evening would be the first hurdle Y:

as far as i know you have 5 days grace from the start of the month as long as it was taxed til lthe end of June you should be good as long as you tax it saturday morning

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
trouble is the law says "failure to display a valid tax disc is an offence" and as said you cant really pull the mot trick at night.

Mate of mine got done coz his disc was on the dash board and not displayed in the window! even though he had one so not sure the cops would let you off if you said it was in the post:confused:

might be a pain but id say re arrange and dont drive it til you have the disc in your windowT:

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you have the receipt stating that you have just bought the van, you should have no problem.

As you have just bought it, the likehood that the insurance will show up on the PNC check is minimal. look at askmid.com to find out!:cool:

although you do commit the offence of failing to display or no tax, providing you are on a direct(ish) route home with it, you should have no problems.T:

believe it or not, most cops are human and have bought cars themselves before:eek:

I would always recommend people to check if they are shown on www.askmid.com after changing/renewing their insurance..... lots dont check their registration etc when they get their paperwork.... can lead to car being seized and costing you £150 +...... and if its a typo or similar, its still your fault coz technically ( even if the company will cover you), you aint insured and its not the old bills fault!

·
i am t4lwb steve
2,832 Posts
wheres the van (distance from you) the greater the distance the better the chance of a copper believing you :eek: strange but true

but you do have the right to drive it home once you have just brought it
have all your paper work with you ,take a tax form with you and a blank chq
fill in the form and if you get stopped say you just brought it and you tryied to tax it before you drove home but you where to late to tax it so you are nipping round the post office at 9 am to do it most coppers as already said are human
NEVER LIE JUST BEND THE TRUTH TO SUIT LOL:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
i picked up a motor from liverpool once, had arranged insurance and was taxed and legite.

Had a friend close behind me when all of a sudden a cop pulled along side and muscled inbetween us - said the car didnt show as having insurance.

and whilst yes SOME cops are human, a lot are a little less forgivingI:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
If there's no tax, then there's no tax......

Which means if (God forbid) you have a bump on the way home, then your insurance WON'T pay out (they ALWAYS look for an excuse not to - and this would be a result for them!!)

Imagine the shoe on the other foot and someone with no tax runs into your new van.........you'd be guutted!

Get the details sorted, apply online for a new disc and wait a couple of extra days - job sorted and everyone is safe and legal.... :)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Theres no excuses accepted nowadays... if your vehicle is not taxed...it will void your insurance...the fine & points is the least of your worries its the time you would serve if you injured anybody or even killed someone...dont risk it!

T:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I purchased a van a few years back on a sunday evening, couldn't get tax until the next day but on the monday morning the DVLA decided to clamp it for being untaxed and on the road. They didn't care that i only had it for 1 day and it was imposible to get tax. My advice would be to call DVLA get them to advise you or you'll get a massive fine! :*

·
Registered
733 Posts
The vehicle must have tax displayed in the lower left of window screen even if you buy the tax online, if you drive it without the licence displayed your insurance is void and if caught by the police a fine will be issued plus more.....:(

When I brought my VW Velle I had similar problem, but decided to get it on a trailer which cost me £56.00 + £5.00 tip for a guy to travel from Slough, down to Southampton (to pick up Velle) and then transport it to Blandford - total of 60 odd miles (Southampton to Blandford). I found the guy/company on Shiply.com, a really good site if you need something picking up that you can't do yourself.

Best to be safe for all parties - get it taxed then drive it home or get it on a trailer it and then enjoy the joys of T4'ing! :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I heard once of a guy who flew up to Scotland and bought a vehicle then phoned the AA and told them its broke, they relayed it home for him LOL:
Dont know if it was true but seemed a good idea I:

·
Registered
406 Posts
apply online for it, i bought a car last year had 11months mot on and no tax so i got my girlfriend to apply online got pulled on the way home so explaned to the copper id just bought it showed him the new keppers slip and everything was fine, he just said that the car wasnt insured, had trade insurance as i was changing my cars more than most people change thier socks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts