VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Glovebox lock help

8K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Kitawagon 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone , is anyone able to tell me how to get the lock out of the glove box handle ??????????

Thanks

#5 ·
That was me :D

You can put it in the oven (can't remember how hot but start off low and build to whatever you need).

The problem is it's put together with a LOT of glue which is applied in a lot of bead lines. When you pull it apart you end up with a bit of a mess that really needs to be tidied before you can glue it back together which is tricky because the glue you're trying to remove is stronger than the fragile plastic it's stuck too...

I put mine back together with 6 G-clamps and still didn't get it evenly stuck together. I will probably end up buying a new one I:

Moral of the story is yes it will come apart, no you probably don't want to do it.

HTH

#7 ·
As I understand it you must be able to replace silver key barrel otherwise you'd have to give your chasis/key number etc. when ordering a replacement and they'd have to make one up from scratch with you key in mind? Doesn't make sense. Mine is broken (i.e. can remove the handle) so I'll go and get it to take a picture, that way you can see what is what. It basically pivots on two metal studs (that have snappedon mine). I think the key is to basically keep pulling it open until it jutts out directly towards you. That way you'll be able to access the barrel. Don't take my word for it mind, it's just that I cannot see any other way to get to it. It doesn't seem like a component that can be clipped in and out....

#10 ·
Perhaps VW supply the lid and handle un-assembled. That way you can remove the barrel from your broken and hence disconnected handle, do the the switcheroo with the barrel into the new, insert the new handle into the new lid (i.e. if the metal pivot prongs are spring loaded for example) and hey presto you're done. But if that was the case surely VW would sell just handles separately?? LOL:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.