VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

glow plug dodgey question

853 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  sunowner 
#1 ·
hi
This is one for the boffins
As said in previous post van was a poor starter so decided to replace glow plugs
On taking out first plug to the right i notice 5mm of the tip was missing it was bright and shinny as though it had been cut.
Now my question is! unlike a spark plug which protrudes into the cylinder, a glow plug does not So what caused the damage as the other 3 were ok
*<:)>

#2 ·
TBH . personally , I wouldnt address that as an issue , I,d be looking for the poor starting solution . One glow plug down wont cause that . I may have been lucky , but only had to replace glo plugs once in 200,000 miles ..! As long as all settings for fuel delivery are correct , fuel system is airtight , it should go on the button ..!! That would me my first call . I have a diesel car which has starting probs , and I have narrowed it to either a sticky fuel solenoid , or relay .... Just replace a couple of plugs , and look for the root cause ..

#3 ·
Hi thanks for the reply
but the question is what damaged the glow plug and also where has the other bit of the tip gone.5mm floating about inside a cylinder can do a lot of damage my mind runs riot.

its a abl 1.9td initial problems is poor starting it needs 2 shots on the heater plus the advance out once started for about a minute it runs great not perfect though on idle after warm up there is a slight hunt in the revs. and there is a loss of water about a cup after an hours running cant find any drips milage is 104k year NOV 2000.
My guts say head off !!!!!

#6 ·
...just had to have five glow plugs changed (2.4D) - campervan wouldn't start on Wed morning (engine turned as normal, just would not fire). 'Van towed to local garage, 'plugs checked - most of them knackered - it was suggested that only the easily accecable ones were done previously. The bill came to £261. :eek: Please share the pain !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.