VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Today started the van and it took a lot of turns before it fired. Usually starts immediately. First thing i checked was the 50 amp fuse in the engine bay and sure enough it was blown. Replaced fuse and she fired up first go. My question is why did the fuse blow, is it a sign that the glow plugs will soon need replacing or is it just one of those things. anyone had this problem. ta *<:)>

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It can be just one of those things. The fuse is living in a harsh environment and with heat and humidity can oxidise and just fail over time. Replaced mine a couple of years ago and no problems since.

Have to occasionally wiggle relay 109 or tap it gently with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I had to replace that fuse on a Mk1 diesel Golf many years ago & was told at the time they seem to "wear out" & have a limited life albeit quite a long one.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
looking in the engine bay, it's on your left and lives in a little black plastic box. Not sure how much as i got a few spares with my van but they must be pence to buy.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
try the relay took mine apart could see no damage but replaced and now it starts fine ps gearbox has started working again after a little wrestle with it last weekend ,ps have,nt built any trust up yet to go out in it yet for a drive .maybe over the weekend .cheers

·
Registered
494 Posts
possably one heater plug blown so earthed out,burnt out,blew the fuze no longer earthed or working,fuze ok when replaced only three out of four plugs now working so starts ok may be???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts