VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 T4 2.5TDI 88HP lwb van 1200.
Removed clutch pedal last night, after removing switch that operates against pedal c/w connector, removed the blue and black switches that operate against brake pedal c/w connectors, noticed brake lights were then staying on whilst working on van (ignition off) so disconnected brake light connector from the black switch.
Rebuilt all the above, replaced vacuum hoses on turbo etc under bonnet, van runs fine and all lights work as they should but glow plug light flashes.
Glow plug light will flash after turning on ignition (engine not started) after about 30 seconds, and stays on whilst driving.
So any ideas were to look, to cure the above?
What is the blue switch for on the brake pedal?
What is the black switch for on the clutch pedal?
I had a problem with the glow plug light flashing the other week, stripped brake light switch a re-fitted, sorted.
Could i have the same problem with either the black or blue switch on the clutch or brake pedal, not sure if these are working correctly as i don’t know what they do, yet?
Do i need to have the fault now logged in the ecu (i guess) cleared, or will it clear once fault is fixed?
I hear a lot about VAG COM is this something i can get myself, or is it a main dealer thing, as i don’t like getting ripped off by dealers full stop.
I live on the I.o.M. so don’t know any local dealers who are good on T4s.
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Basic (free) vagcom will let you view and clear most fault codes (not airbag ones), and its only about a tenner for an ebay lead.
The switches on the pedals are so the ecu knows when they have been pressed. One of their uses is controlling the cruise control when its fitted (an option on the 2.5tdi). They could do other things but i dont know.
Vag com will allow you to test the functionality of these switches individually, but you may need to buy the full version for this, i cant remember off the top of my head.
If you plan on keeping your van long term and also carrying out the maintenance yourself, i would say that vagcom is essential and a pretty cheap investment (about £100 for full version).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do plan on keeping the van, so what do i get with the full vagcom, and where is the best place to buy it?
Fiddled with the plunger on the blue switch that acts against the brake pedal switch and the glow plug light stopped flashing, drove the van 4 miles and its started flashing again, at least i know where to look now.
Any advice is welcome.
Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You need a lead for your computer. Get one from fleabay, they are perfectly adequate and are cheap.
The leads usually come with a copy of the free software, but you can also download this from the rosstech website. The free software can be upgraded by buying a license and downloading the rest of the program from the ross tech website.
It is helpful for narrowing down problems with the 2.5tdi, and invaluable if you plan on doing cam bely changes yourself.

As for the switch problem, i am not clued up enough on te vans electrics to tell you why its doing what its doing. There are several people on here who are electrical geniuses, and one is sure to be along any minute to help.

Good luck with it, and welcome to the T4 club.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the extra info, much appreciated.

Does anyone know, seeing my van has no cruise control, can i remove the cable connector from the black switch that operates on the clutch pedal and the blue switch that operates on the brake pedal?
If so do i need to link the connectors out or not?
Can't see why the ecu needs to see the position of the two pedals as no cruise control is fitted, or am i talking rubbish, perhaps it needs the pedal position for something else?
Cheers
Gary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts