VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just before christmas driving to work and my glow plug light came on and started to flash this was also accompanied by a shudder then a loss of power as if it had gone into limp mode
I managed to get it to work which was just 200 yds down the road, turned ignition off and then went to restart it, van wouldnt restart engine would turn just wouldnt fire.
Called RAC they couldnt get it to restart so it got taken back to the dealer.
Dealer had the Van for 10 days they got it running and claimed it was a boost valve but the kid i spoke to didnt seem to have a clue what it was and i left scratching my head.
4 days later and only 21miles covered the van breaks down again exact same thing glow plug light flashing loss of power unable to restart.
RAC technican tries to restart unable to get van to fire, RAC computer shows fault with fuel pump, RAC Technician who is a ex VAG mechanic states he is 95% sure its the fuel pump.

Van goes back to dealer, after 5 days dealer rings up and states it looks like the fuel pressure switch is at fault and not the fuel pump and also they need to change the fuel filter which is not a warranty part so want £100 out of me, feeling abit agrieved by this i state can you not change fuel filter as a good will gesture due to all the inconvienence, not a chance.

Give garage the go ahead to change fuel filter which i am going to pay for and i stated that if that didnt remedy it then i wanted my money back to which i was told they would have to remove my fuel tank and if there was 100% pure diesel in my tank i would get my money back but as the fuel suppliers mix bio-diesel in that would be unlikely, bloody any excuse.

So at the moment they still have the van i dont know if filter change has helped it seems to me they are clutching at straws and are going down the cheap route first instead of changing the fuel pump as stated by the RAC.
They have been in possession of my van for nearly 3 weeks in total now im well sick.

Steve

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Went to pick van up last night, fuel pump changed and fuel rail, told by garage van is all fixed.
Goes to drive off in it starts it engine management light on.
So back to square one.
Told by garage service manager they dont know whats wrong with it and they would have to contact germany in the morning for advice.
Wish i could get my money back, sick now.

·
Super Moderator
9,030 Posts
Another quality t5!
T5"s have a few problems but its a 5.1I:
Hope you get it sorted and share the fix. Don't know that engine myself.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Another quality t5!
Not the vehicles fault is it!!

Basically another quality service centre that doesn't know it's own product, all vehicles break down, it's down to the manufacturer support to fix it first time.

I'd be writing a stern letter to VW customer care.

There is too much emphasis these days on relying on VCDS, if the computer diagnostics don't tell the so called "engineer" the fault then they have little basic knowledge to fault find.

This is the reason i left my full time job of 18 years as a marine engineer, i was working alongside unskilled labour being paid the same purely as finding engineers to do the job was difficult due to the wages being so mediocre.

There are very few "engineers " left, most these days are "fitters".

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Not the vehicles fault is it!!

Basically another quality service centre that doesn't know it's own product, all vehicles break down, it's down to the manufacturer support to fix it first time.

I'd be writing a stern letter to VW customer care.

There is too much emphasis these days on relying on VCDS, if the computer diagnostics don't tell the so called "engineer" the fault then they have little basic knowledge to fault find.

This is the reason i left my full time job of 18 years as a marine engineer, i was working alongside unskilled labour being paid the same purely as finding engineers to do the job was difficult due to the wages being so mediocre.

There are very few "engineers " left, most these days are "fitters".
exactly the same in mobile telecomms - outsourcing to unskilled typists:(

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my wife's VW Tiguan whilst it was under guarentee. I paid for the first 'fault' - a exhaust faulty sensor but refused to pay for the following two 'new faults'. Told them I'd block their road access with my van and a big notice why! Wrote a number of emails to VW Customer Services within days and saw the service manager as well. Smother them with complaints - it's the only thing that works. It worked for me but then I'm a cantankerous old b**st*rd!

Good luck (& keep the forum updated) T:

·
Registered
133 Posts
It's not your van it is the lack of skills/knowledge inside your dealer,is it a dedicated van centre? We see this problem when vans go into passenger car retailers. Get it moved to another.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies
Well still without a Van had a phone call from Benfield VW Van Centre today they have said they are going to change the EGR valve to see if that rectifys it, clutching at straws me thinks.
I wrote a email to VW uk yesterday but havent heard back yet.
Im losing faith in this van and the dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had a few bad experiences with benfield on the fossway. The mechanics have not got a clue, the first and last time they'll be getting my business.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EGR valve changed fault still there after more dithering ive been told they have found a pin prick hole in the fuel rail which may be causing it , they told me last week they had changed the fuel rail now they are saying they didnt change it not happy.
Steve:*

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still no Van they were supposed to be going to fix it on Saturday by changing the fuel rail by there silence i think it didnt work.
Will i ever see my van again?

·
Registered
688 Posts
AHHHHH my 180 did flashing glow plug thing Twice at weekend on M6 near stafford !!!
Hope its not start of something worse , a stop and restart seems to have fixed it ,no convinced
Dealer says may be fault in EGR cooler some have done this
will know then get to dealers later this week

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first time it happened to me i stopped it and it woulnt restart second time it just died.
Got the Van back today after a month and theyve changed the fuel rail three times the egr valve the fuel filter and the fuel pump its had over £2000 of warranty work done fingers crossed its sorted but only time will tell.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Been to vw today , Fault is over boost code ? Have to book in to look in to
In all doesnt look to be problem ,we will see if it does it again

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there
After reading this I'm starting to worry as mine had all the same symptoms this morning , so far they've replaced the filter and some sort of sensor. Please keep posting as will I on progress::*

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its still going, mind ive only done 25mile in it, 4mile more than i done the last time before it broke down.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our T5 has just suffered from the same problem. I rang a trusted mechanic friend of ours who said EGR valve straight away. I took it in and he connected the diagnostics to the van and it identified and EGR valve fault. He erased the fault code and the van returned to normal service immeadiately.
It's done about 100mls since the fault and up to now no further problems.
He tells me they've had Golfs, Sirroccos, Passats, Transporters the lot in. Sometimes the valve sticks and the reset can resolve the problem, sometimes the valve needs to be replaced. Replacement is "a bit of a job"
On occasions where the reset has resolved matters they recomend one of the cleaning treatments for EGR valves.

Hope this is of help.

·
Special Rapporteur
8,604 Posts
Did anyone get these problems sorted? I'm having the same problem now :( what cured the problem? Thanks
The glow plug lamp flashing is a general-purpose indicator that an engine management fault exists. So it doesn't indicate a specific fault - though, due to the faulty design of large number of EGR valves, it often (but not always) means a fault with the EGR valve!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts