VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2007 T32 T5 and when I turn the ignition on the glow plug coil does not light up on the dash, although the van starts up fine. How can I get it working again?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,967 Posts
The glow period system varies the length of time that the glow plugs are on, depending on ambient temperature. At this time of year, there should be no need for the glow plugs to activate during the daytime (though if you're in Scotland it may at night, as I believe it was -5 degrees last night in places).

Even if there is no need for the glow plugs to operate, the glow plug light should still light up briefly, along with all other dash lights, when you first turn on the ignition, to show that the warning light is still working.

If yours does not light at all, it's possible that the instrument panel insert is faulty. However, it would be wise to have the van checked for diagnostic codes, as this will give you a better idea of where the problem lies.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Triffic. Yeah it definitely does not come on at all- what is the instrument panel insert by the way? Can you recommend a half decent code checker that's not too pricey so that I can start diagnosing a few things? Cheers

·
Registered
781 Posts
Hi Sandyman,

Guve a shout out there might be a member near you that has a reader, they are all very helpful on this forum and might do a quick check for you. (y)

·
Special Rapporteur
8,967 Posts
The instrument/dash panel insert is the part of the dash with the dials, gauges, warning lights etc in it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Sandyman,

Guve a shout out there might be a member near you that has a reader, they are all very helpful on this forum and might do a quick check for you. (y)
Yes that would be really helpful- I'm in Oxford if anyone happens to be nearby. Do they normally charge for this service? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question but being a newbie not sure what the ethos is on the forum!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Incidentally, if it turns out to be the glow plug relay which needs replacing what's the recommended part to go for? Heard that the really cheap ones don't last long...as in everything perhaps. Was looking at the Bosch 07Z907281A, believe it's the OEM for £40-£70. Is this one that folk generally trust and go for?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts