VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Glow plug problem

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Chas Brana 
#1 ·
Just tried to start my T4, 1998 1.9td and it wouldn't, previously started every time after one turn. Glow plug light flashing fast almost like a poor contact and goes off after a while like it should, No power to glow plugs and large fuse is ok. eventually started by winding it over but alternator light stays on, tried my old alternator and it was the same I'm thinking of a short somewhere, anyone got any ideas.

#4 ·
If it's the blue wire that's damaged you can test it - the LED in the dash is the exciter wire that starts charging off at idle, but these alternators self excite if you rev it above 3000rpm, and the battery light will go out.

If not, then it could be an issue with the cluster, but I'm hazy on problems with those as I've not had mine go bad yet. I thought in general the very early T4s had issues but the first facelift dashes solved that...?

#5 ·
Just tried to start my T4, 1998 1.9td and it wouldn't, previously started every time after one turn. Glow plug light flashing fast almost like a poor contact and goes off after a while like it should, No power to glow plugs and large fuse is ok. eventually started by winding it over but alternator light stays on, tried my old alternator and it was the same I'm thinking of a short somewhere, anyone got any ideas.
Have you read the thread in Electrical?

#6 ·
Thanks for the reply's, still not there yet, glow plug relay sometimes works then clicks when the light goes off, sometimes just clicks, plus alternator light stays on thoughh its charging plus handbrake light stays on it just dims a bit when brake is released? I'm thinking an earth fault but can't find anything obvious, good connections to the brown multi plug, anyone know of all the earthing points on a 1998 1.9 td?

#7 ·
Eventually sorted, should have posted sooner, the glow plug problem was a distraction, yes the blue wire had broken hence no power to the relay, but then I noticed the other faults handbrake and alternator lights staying on, no reading on fuel gauge but I had let it run low, took the clocks out looking for an earth behind and noticed the dark mark on the back of the clocks, opened them up and there it was top R/H corner of the circuit board was fried beyond repair. Paid through the nose for another set of clocks and hey presto.....fixed, Why are second hand parts so expensive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.