VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had problem starting my T4 2.5 TDI when the temperature dropped towards +10 C, so I believed one or more glow plugs wherer worn out. The car has got 220.000 kms. It took some time to locate the glow plugs and twist and pull the connectors for disconecting them. Four of the glow plugs showed 2.5 ohm resistance and the fifth showed 5-7 ohms. I checked new onec and it had 0.5 ohm resistance. I replaced the glow plug that had 5-7 ohm resistance and the car starts smoother now.

The car has originaly been equiped with Beru 0100 226 227, glow plugs. According to the cross-referens list of Denso, my car should use the same glow plugs as Audi A4 1.9 TDI. Since I could buy this as a non branded glow plug for a third of the price as the original once, I went for them and it seams to work fine.

I believe I'll have to replace the remaning four glow plugs pretty soon, but they are more difficult located so it has to wait for a while.

I believe the glow plugs produce less heath with increasing resistance. Does anyone know if this is the case or if they produce the same heath until a certain resistance and then just stop working?

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Should have done the full set as once one goes the others are quick to follow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that I will have to replace the others pretty soon. I didn't have time and they are much more difficult to replace.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found some information from NGK about glow plug resistance. The glow plug is supposed to be ok when the resistance is below 5 ohms. It also says that the resistance for ceramic glow normally is below 1 ohm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts