VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I will start by saying this task is not for the faint hearted or anyone with zero DIY ability. It is a pig of a job so I have done my best to record it and make things easier for others. First stage is to remove the bumper, this will be as far as you need to go if replacing the lights only.

Bumper Removal

These were the tools I used a 10mm socket and t20 torx driver you may need a couple of others, I can't remember. An extended 1/4 ratchet would of been better when removing the stiff nuts I think (if they do one)

Here I am just point out where the stiff nuts in the wing and bolt under the wheel arch liner can be found.

Removal of this bolt helps to get the wheel arch liner moved for access.

Remove the liner bolts (done) again to move the liner for access, the arrow points to the hidden bolt.

Remove these 3 bolts left and right side of the lower bumper.

Not shown very well here but there are three bolts to be removed out of the lower centre section of the bumper

I then removed my engine covers/upper radiator panel and the small panels left/right and the centre panel. Despite people saying the small left right panels pull off easily mine didn't, they were a complete T:*t to remove. I ended up pressing out three trim tabs in the wing to remove the first one pulled it off then pulled off the centre panel and then the opposite small panel. Next time I will either get some trim tab tools or just smash them off and replace them.

Behind the small trim panels left/right you need to remove the screw in the picture(already done)

Behind the centre panel left and right you need to remove this screw

Look at the top of the bumper you will see four screw holes, one is visible from the rear three are recessed/hidden (thank you vw) I would place a magnet next to these when undoing so you don't loose them in the metalwork.

Here is the one you can see (left side when facing van, t20/t30 torx driver best for removing these, with a magnet alongside)

The stiff nuts that need removing each side, you need a 10mm deep socket and if the do one an extended 1/4 ratchet handle. I used a short length standard size 1/4 in ratchet so its doable but probably easier if you can get a longer one. Oh I should mention I also removed the wheels, and screws to peel back the liner for access. It may be easier to take out the whole wheel arch liner I don't know.

Don't forget this one that sits under the stiff nuts.

The bumper should now come off, when pulling away there are wires and a plug which may need to be detached, if your just replacing the headlights you might want to leave all these connected. Forgot to mention to get the four rear access bolts at the top of the bumper you may need to remove reservoirs/bottle etc. I think the bumper should come off now apologies if I have missed anything.

Moving to the lock carrier to the service position.

All good so far at this stage if your replacing the head lights only just remove the bolts/screws pictures disconnect and your done.

Headlight bottom

Headlight top

Unscrew the coolant reservoir and move it out the way.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii205/bobbster007/gf17.jpg
Unscrew the windscreen washer bottle

Unbolt this one and move out the way.

At this stage the van looks something like this.

There is aslo a pipe bottom left of the engine, looks like a air/ventilation pipe needs to be disconnected (sorry no pic)

Lower bumper there are four lock carrier bolts to be removed each side this in the outer two.

This is one of the inner ones

And this is the other

A picture of all four together (don't forget 4 left and right)

Moving up now one bolt to be removed left and right side

Two bolts left and right side (disconnect the battery if you have already done so to avoid shorting your tools)

You should now hopefully be able to move the lock carrier to the service position

Glow Plugs

This is the most difficult bit, but if I can do it most people can!!! Just be very careful make sure you have the right tools, 10mm deep socket, torque wrench, various extensions 19mm deep/19mm short sockets, mirrors, light sources. Also have a spare set of gaskets for the inlet manifold £20ish, new glow plugs and spare cable ties that go on the exhaust manifold from VW and tywraps. You don't want to get to this stage and find you need spares etc.

Top of the inlet manifold

Inlet manifold disconnected

Next we need to get the cables out of the way in front of the inlet manifold. This stumped me for a while but hopefully the picture makes it clear. Two cable ties to the inlet manifold a screw in type left and push type right. The rear plastic bits x2 locate over something, can't remember what? Anyway remove the screw and push type ties. (these may need some persuasion, hence I was armed with two new ones from VW) Once those two were out I couldn't work out what was holding the cable, after a while I just wrenched it upwards and it came off the manifold. It needs to be out the way so you can get square on the manifold bolts.

Undo the nine manifold bolts and you should get this. This makes it a bit more clear where the cables attach to.

Next was the glow plugs and cables, you need a firm grip on the cables to prise the off. Once there off you need your 10mm deep socket etc to remove the glow plugs. As you can see in the picture they are in quite deep and all this is done blind feeling your way around. On refitting use a torque spanner F----g it up at this stage would be a nightmare and costly. I found putting the cable on awkward especially the left hand side (facing van) but just persevere and you will get there.

The inlet manifold and gaskets

Fitting is reverse of removal, as can be seen here:

So two days in the garage and £360 saved, hopefully this will help those contemplating replacing lights/glow plugs on there 2.5tdi's

·
Registered
42 Posts
Cheers , thanks for the info . I removed mine this morning 4are looking normal black soot and one looks like it's got much hotter soot burnt of and a pinky red color any ideas ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the guide! I had a stupid amount of bolts on mine :s and couldnt get the last glowplug out ( far right) but she's working and purring rather nicely, soaked the inlet manifold over night and jet washed it this morn and then decoked it the hill billy way!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cheers , thanks for the info . I removed mine this morning 4are looking normal black soot and one looks like it's got much hotter soot burnt of and a pinky red color any ideas ?

I tightend mine upto to 18lbs, but i cant remember where I saw this! i did check it! also its worth remembering to tight the left and the the far right then the 2nd left so on and so forth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have just one of my Glow plugs reporting an issue "Glowplug for Cylinder 2 (Q11): Open Circuit" Would it be possible to replace this with out removing bumper ect ? btw it a 1.9 if there any differences ?

Cheer's

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1.9 you can replace the glow plugs without removing the bumper etc, although you will still be working by feeling your way around as nothing is in line of sight.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Her we are for the 1.9:ILU:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front of engine put your hand just below the cam cover you will feel the four cable connectors linked together.
Pull these off and the plugs are right there you will need a long reach 10mm socket to remove them
when refitting be careful not to cross thresd them.
re connect the cable connectors and job done... simples
by the way you have to do this by feel as you cannot see the plugs from the top of the engine.
Hope this helps
T:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Bobbster

Thank you thank you thank you!! Your guide was spot on - got the bumper off, headlights changed and back on in 2 hours! Never done it it before but with your guide it was simples!!

T:

You're a starA:

·
Registered
308 Posts
is there another way of cleaning your manifold? possibly putting some cleaner in or running at 70 in 4th gear? did you blank egr also?

·
Registered
308 Posts
once the egr has been blanked surely the soot builds up behind the plate.. does this not lead to any problems... can it be be blanked off elsewhere, ie where the exhaust gases begin there journey back up to the egr value also as the egr itself?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi,

Don't know the answer to that one, guess I did it as most people do I: Could be worth posing the question on a separate post.

once the egr has been blanked surely the soot builds up behind the plate.. does this not lead to any problems... can it be be blanked off elsewhere, ie where the exhaust gases begin there journey back up to the egr value also as the egr itself?

·
aka, cmp260
423 Posts
obv. my manifold been off one already by previous owner.
I had no gaskets on manifold just red rubber make-a-gasket. what u recon, this good wnough to replace it with?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you very much looks like a bit of a task but I did change the intercooler six months ago
Will give it a go photos are a great help thanks Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts