VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, the glow plugs in my van will not power up, no light on the dash also, I've worked my way thru the fuses and relays, also checked the black and white wire that runs from 109 to ecu, ( continuity tested from fuse box to relay plug ) but everything seems ok,
Joined 109 to ground and it switches but no glow light.
I bypassed 109 as instructed in another post... Nothing.
Also took the plastic covers off 109 and glow plug relay and made the circuits by hand, still not glowing up.
I'd read that the coolant temp sensor could of been the cause, I unplugged it, no difference. I replaced this for new anyway.

If anyone has any more ideas I'd be really greatful, or if anyone could point me in the direction of a good auto electricain in the Poole area, that would great.

In the meantime is there a way of powering the glow plugs directly from battery? Just so I can get it started to get it home.

Thanks in advance.

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,792 Posts
6mm cable from battery +ve to the glow plug top.
Wait 10 seconds, then take cable off and get to the key asap.

My lodger used this method on his Passat for 3 months over winter when the temp was -10 -20C !

Have you checked the link fuses in front of the battery?

BTW...a 2.5TDi should start even without glow plugs at the temps you have....just needs 5-10 seconds cranking instead of the usual 1st turnover
(Mine starts after less than a second at -20C....with glowplugs....but if I don't wait for the light to go out, it can take about 10 seconds cranking, but still starts.)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for reply, I tried warming the plugs up but it still didn't start, so I guess it's not the glow plugs ( even tho the plug light stopped working the day my van died )

It also failed to start with easy start ( it fired for about 2revs and died again )

I'm now completely stuck with this, if anyone can recommend a good mechanic in Poole please let me know.

Or if anyone fancies a project, make me an offer

2002 888 swb, white, 200k, 2.5tdi, 11 months MOT.

Cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still stuck with this one guys, working with a test lamp I have found that there is no power to ecu, unless I bridge the two blue fuses together at the top of the fuse box. But even when this is done it will not start.

Symptoms - turns over fine but will not fire. Even removed the plunger from fuel solenoid to rule that out.
No glow plug light.
No fuel after pump

Things I've done... Closed relay 109 by hand to force connection
Traced small black and white wire from fuse box to ecu plug, tested it, it's ok. And all the other wires for that matter.

I'd started to think it was an imobiliser fault but it's doesn't run for the 1 second people say it does.

Any advise is more than welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
It sounds like I have a similar problem to you Mickinpoole, let me know if you get anywhere with it and I will do the same, it's so infuriating!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I will let you know if I get it fixed.

Today a guy came to plug a laptop in to run a diagnostic, this didn't work as the ecu isn't powered up so it can not be read, my wiring loom that runs from the fusebox to the larger plug on ecu is pretty shabby so I will remove this and check and test it to see if it's this that's at fault.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts